Mikes P F K Nano

Ahhhhh! All the 10 Ember tetras are dead! :( Yesterday I turned the CO2 off for maintenance, and this morning I turned it back on, but obviously too much! I came back home from school today with all the fish dead, floating on the top. I took them all out with a net, turned the CO2 off and quickly I could see the 2 Amano shrimp were resting at the bottom. So I fetched an airpump from another tank and placed it infront of the filter flow. I did this for about 10 minutes. It's still in there now, and the Amano shrimp seem to be moving. Hopefully they will recover. It's strange as I've heard a lot of people say that shrimp are the most afdfected by high-levels of CO2.

Poor fish! I feel like such an idiot for this and I guess I have learnt my lesson about being careful with pressurised CO2. Tommorow I plan to move the Amano shrimp to another tank, so there are no fish/inverts, and when I get all the CO2, dosing right, I might add new fish at a later date. I'm also going to invest in a Drop checker as before I was relying on the bubble rate.

:rip: :fish:

Mike

Blimey, bad result! Drop checkers are really good, nice and simple!

Oh no!! I'm so sorry that happened to your little guys!!! That's one reason I'm afraid to even try CO2.

Blimey, bad result! Drop checkers are really good, nice and simple!

I might get one of the 'tear drop' ones you can get off E-bay.

I really liked these Ember Tetras, they seemed to be doing pretty well, before they died, there was no sign of illness before the wipeout.

eBay seems to have dropped the tear-drop ones for the past few days - I prefer them too, very simple and un-intrusive. I even have a teeny glass pipette waiting to let me get fluid in and out of one!

Really sorry to hear about your loss Mike :(
I love Ember tetras aswell. Unfortunatly I've never been able to find them near me.
Do you have any idea what you will replace them with?

Really sorry to hear about your loss Mike :(
I love Ember tetras aswell. Unfortunatly I've never been able to find them near me.
Do you have any idea what you will replace them with?

I'm not sure what I will peplace them with, I have some new Celestial Pearl danios which I am planning to breed, it probably wont be them, but perhaps another small species, maybe a microrasbora species. I don't know.

Boraras maculatus? A stunning deep red colour with the right food and lights! I'm not biased, honest, but I have 7 and they are amazing fish, like other danio relations, they are not timid and shoal a fair bit whilst being very peaceful. And small at ~1.5cm (maybe 2-2.5cm inc. tail fin max, mine are about 2cm inc. tail fin after 6 months).

http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_Boraras_maculatus.php

Mine were from TropicalFish4U/TriMar at £1 each, they seem to have a number of the smaller species.

Couldn't agree more with nry. They are lovely fish if I recall correctly.

Boraras maculatus? A stunning deep red colour with the right food and lights! I'm not biased, honest, but I have 7 and they are amazing fish, like other danio relations, they are not timid and shoal a fair bit whilst being very peaceful. And small at ~1.5cm (maybe 2-2.5cm inc. tail fin max, mine are about 2cm inc. tail fin after 6 months).

http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_Boraras_maculatus.php

Mine were from TropicalFish4U/TriMar at £1 each, they seem to have a number of the smaller species.

I was actually thinking of getting these fish before I got my Ember Tetras, as I saw the Ember Tetras at my Local Fish store and I got them instead. They definitely are a good option and I may get them. I tihnk they would look quite good against the green of my pants.

Thanks,
Mike

Edit: Typo. :lol: When I said the green of my 'pants', I meant 'plants' :lol:

Most reactions

Back