Mikes P F K Nano

Today I just completely and uterly changed the tank. I was bored with my old scape so have moved on. I actually moved the tank to a new location. The fish and shrimps are still in there.

I've used the mini landscape rocks which I ordered a while ago Here are the rocks. The scape is going to have a Riccia foreground (which I have already put in), and some E. tennelus at the back, and perhaps a tiny bit of HC dangling down the rocks, it is a very simple scape, a lot different to the previos one.

Cheers,
Mike

I'll try to get some on Saturday, it's nothing much yet, just some rocks and crappy looking riccia.

I have ordered some Echinodorus latifolius (a change from E. tennelus) and some HC from Greenline, that should arrive hopefully after the weekend. :)

Cheers,
Mike

I have ordered some Echinodorus latifolius (a change from E. tennelus) and some HC from Greenline, that should arrive hopefully after the weekend. :)
Cheers,
Mike

Echinodorus latifolius... I like that! I might borrow that idea for the tank I've been talking about these last few days... hmn *ponders*

The plants should arrive on Wed-Friday, I will get some pictures then.

I was starting to experience a few algae problems at the start of this new scape (no plants) so I've been doing 50% daily water changes, the algae has disappaered and the Riccia has grown extremely fast (I hardly had any Riccia to start with). I think these large water changes must get rid of the algae 'spores' present in the water column, so doing these large water changes must prevent algae growth and thus better plants as the plants don't get suffocated and have fresh nutrients everyday. The fish and shrimp seem to benefit from these water changes too. The only bad thing is, is that doing a 50% water change daily is a lot of maintenance, plus I have to do a water change on my various other tanks. I do enjoy maintenance though and a tank of this size is not too taxing.

I've also ordered a pressurised CO2 Unit from Ebay for my Birthday! :hyper:

Cheers,
Mike

Happy Birthday for tomorrow Mike! What CO2 set did you go for, the Luna Pet one?

Thanks,
Yeah, it was the Luna pet 2kg one, hopefully it should arrive soon.

I was thinking about one of those as a "Congrats, you got yourself a new job" present (any excuse ;)) but I'm going the 2kg fire extinguisher route. I'll still get the regulator and needle valve from luna though. How much was shipping if you don't mind me asking? I emailed them the other week and had no reply :(

Happy Birthday for tomorrow Mike! What CO2 set did you go for, the Luna Pet one?

Thanks,
Yeah, it was the Luna pet 2kg one, hopefully it should arrive soon.

I was thinking about one of those as a "Congrats, you got yourself a new job" present (any excuse ;)) but I'm going the 2kg fire extinguisher route. I'll still get the regulator and needle valve from luna though. How much was shipping if you don't mind me asking? I emailed them the other week and had no reply :(

I think it was something like 18 euros (£12)? I was thinking of getting a fire extinguisher, but as it was my Birthday coming up my parents decided to get me that one as well as some other stuff. I can't wait for it to come, I'm not a fan of yeast systems, they always seem to fluctuate too much with me and cause algae but I'm hoping with this it will change.

Cheers,
Mike

I guarantee you won't look back Mike. Pressurized is awesome :) Aspecially 2kg, makes life for me so much easier.

Got plants from Greenline today, they were all in really good condition. The Riccia has grown loads and pearls constantly almost, soon I'll probably have to trim it. I ordered more HC than I needed, and it was extremely hard to plant (as some of you may know) but what made it much harder was that I had to plant some of it in substrate that was only about 2mm thick.

The overall scape looks pretty good, the only problem might be that the E. latifolius is slightly to broad for the size tank, but I think it looks OK.

I can't wait for the CO2 to come, I will post pics tommorow because the lights are already off in the tank today.

Cheers,
Mike

UPDATE

Here are some pics of the tank, not very good, over exposure:

100_12031.jpg

100_12021.jpg

As you can see here there is some algae on the left over plants from my old scape which I could just not throw away. The Riccia is about the height I want it in less than a week!

100_11981.jpg

This is were I sort of got my inspiration from to make a 'rock' scape, Yosemite national park, California:

100_09601.jpg

The HC is annoying me soooo much, it just wont stay down.

Cheers,
Mike

Most reactions

Back