Methyl Blue

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

pinkdolphin_113

Sinclair Aquatic Systems
Reaction score
My corydoras have just spawned, well one of them anyway.
Ive managed to move all the eggs to my hatching and raising tank.
I put some methyl blue in this tank and it has turned the water deep blue.
The eggs are on a llittle glass plate at the bottom of the hatching and raising tank.

my questions are;

when the eggs hatch, do i continue using methyl blue?

and how does it work?

thanks,

pink.

personally, unless the eggs are going white/opaque i'd not use methyl blue.

why is this?

i dont usually use methyl blue, its just the spawning was so unexpected and i didnt have enough antifungus for eggs left.
my usual lfs isnt open on wednesdays so i had to go to a place called pets at home and methyl blue was the only thing they had.

pink.

The methylene blue should not do any harm for the eggs and is a commonly used method to reduce egg fungus problems. I would not add any beyond the initial dose because the eggs will hatch in just a few days and it is not something the fry will need in their water.

Hi pinkdolphin_113 :)

Methylene blue is strictly an optional addition. I add a drop or two on occasion, but usually don't bother. I have never been able to see a substantial difference one way or the other. Since you have used it be sure to do water changes to remove it from the water as soon as possible after the fry hatch.

More important to prevent fungus on the eggs is to have good water circulation over them. An airstone powered by a small air pump will take care of this. Put it close to the eggs. There will usually be some loss due to infertility or damage so don't worry if this happens.

Good luck with the spawn. :D

Fungus is often though to be secondary to bacterial issues when hatching spawns. You can't see the bacteria with the naked eye, but fungus is easily apparent. Bacteria is much quicker to grow & spread than fungus.

Often my water supply is crummy. Eggs hatch out poorly in straight dechlored tap, or in tap treated with only meth blue. Long ago I started using 7 drops per gallon meth blue, a drop or two per gallon acriflavin, which has antibacterial properties, and 3 drops per gallon Maroxy, which is a chlorine based product. This works great for angels.

Some time ago when corys spawned I had the same difficulty. Worked from plain tap to the usual angel spawn additives, problem solved.

So I gather in some cases methyl blue works lol so, when using methyl blue, instead of turning white when the eggs die, they turn blue? :unsure:

either way, ALL eggs look healthy at the moment, which im extremely happy with. i will begin to do small water changes twice a day to clear the water up for when the fry (hopefully) hatch and so i can see them a little clearer.
i found another 2 eggs behind the heater ( however they managed to be laid there :S ) so that makes 24 eggs in total. i think these are rolling around on the bottom of the tank though... will this effect the baby fish inside? i did manage to pat most of the other eggs down ever so slightly so they would stick to the glass plate i put them on so they're all about .5 - 1cm appart from each other.

they should be hatching either later tonight or tomorrow i think :D

pink.

Most reactions

trending

Back