Mega Guppy Drop

BillyBigBananas

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
One of my guppies gave birth to between 50-60 babies yesterday. Im sure it was only her as she is in a small tank on her own. Anyone else had this many in one go?

Congratulations BBB

Most I've ever had has been about 40 in one drop - and that looked like a swarm :rolleyes:

well done never seen that many before, but it has be heard of congrats

the last 2 guppies that gave birth had between 10-20 each so i was more than a little surprised this time, maybe i just got there early before she went a munching?

I used to have this beautiful female,half black blue.Every month or so she used to have so many babies,about 60 and sometimes even more.She was fully grown though and old.She finally died a few days after giving birth to approximately 45 babies.My gups dont usually eat their babies so at any given time you would see fry of all ages.
Remember that in order to have a very prolific female,it should be a fully grown female.You must provide her with a rich and varied diet,water conditions must be excellent but also,remember that certain strains tend to have more fry than others.As some of you might remember,I keep albinos and they tend to be very problematic.Not only are they much more delicate when babies,but infertility is very common among albino strains.

BillyBigBananas said:
One of my guppies gave birth to between 50-60 babies yesterday. Im sure it was only her as she is in a small tank on her own. Anyone else had this many in one go?
3 weeks ago my guppy had over 60 a drop and just this week my other guppy dropped another 50. i only have a 20 gallon tank but i'm still gonna raise them all. i took the 60 frys out after 3 weeks and neither of them go eaten.

when they get big enough do you sell them to the lfs? Mine will take young adults (decent size) for 40p each. Hmm I wonder how much flake food is invested per guppy and what the return is? Don't think its ever going to make me rich :lol:

:rolleyes: nah - it never makes you rich - but - oh it's a lot of fun :fun:

I sell my well grown babies to lfs for credit which pays for some of the food to feed the guppies which breed the guppies I sell to the lfs................... :D

Most reactions

Back