The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Etown73

Reaction score
Hi there. Need help with medications. I have a 10 gallon freshwater with two male guppies. 2 month Fishless cycled tank that has had fish for a little over a week. Water parameters are good. These guys have been in the tank for about 8 days. Saw some light stringy poo from one of them, and now am seeing pin prick small white spots on tails of both. Thinking parasites to include ick. They’re still eating and swimming around fine, see an occasional clamped tail, and some spitting out of food from the one with the stringy poo. So, here are the big questions:

1. Should I be trying api general cure and some ick treatment? Can they be done together?

2. Will these meds kill of my BB?

3. If I’m going to get a couple more male guppies soon should I just wait until they’re in the tank to medicate everyone at the same time and kill two birds with one stone (new incoming fish from same LFS so will likely have same issues)? I realize why bring new fish into a tank with parasites, but it seems inevitable so why medicate the current two and then turn around in a few days and remedicate for the new ones? I have a 2.5 g hospital tank, but nothing but a small sponge filter that probably doesn’t have much of a biological filtration going yet.

Thoughts or ideas? Thank you!!!

The best way to treat ich is to raise the temperature to 30 °C/84°F and leave it there for two weeks. Continue to do regular water changes and gravel cleans during this time.

I'm not sure what is in General cure, I would be more inclined to get a specific medication for worms, either
Praziquantel - for flat worms such as tapeworms
Levamisole - for round worms such as camallanus worms
or Flubendazole - for both.
I would treat the ich first, then deal with the worms as heat and medication reduce oxygen levels and further stress the fish.
These are not antibiotics so will not harm your BB.

Although fish can live for a while with worms, ich can kill and quickly, I advise that you don't add any more fish until these are free of disease for a month. Also new fish should be quarantined as they may have different diseases that you would not want to introduce to your tank. Add the sponge part of your hospital filter into your main tanks filter. That way it will be established when you need it. You may also need a small heater if your house gets cold.

Hi there. Need help with medications. I have a 10 gallon freshwater with two male guppies. 2 month Fishless cycled tank that has had fish for a little over a week. Water parameters are good. These guys have been in the tank for about 8 days. Saw some light stringy poo from one of them, and now am seeing pin prick small white spots on tails of both. Thinking parasites to include ick. They’re still eating and swimming around fine, see an occasional clamped tail, and some spitting out of food from the one with the stringy poo. So, here are the big questions:

1. Should I be trying api general cure and some ick treatment? Can they be done together?

2. Will these meds kill of my BB?

3. If I’m going to get a couple more male guppies soon should I just wait until they’re in the tank to medicate everyone at the same time and kill two birds with one stone (new incoming fish from same LFS so will likely have same issues)? I realize why bring new fish into a tank with parasites, but it seems inevitable so why medicate the current two and then turn around in a few days and remedicate for the new ones? I have a 2.5 g hospital tank, but nothing but a small sponge filter that probably doesn’t have much of a biological filtration going yet.

Thoughts or ideas? Thank you!!!
You can use general cure and ich x work together as a treatment they Do not kill bb bacteria and you should raise the temperature in the tank and try to medicate with aquarium salt first and see if it improves and if it does Not I would advise You to use lmedications.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back