Medication Facts-Use and Miss-use

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°
Even if a vet knows nothing about fish illnesses, it will be a safe bet they are ultra intelligent and at the very least will know who to contact about anything they are clueless about. I wouldn't be surprised if a basic fish health lesson they learn if they do not choose extra courses in it, is to get the customer to bring in a water sample and tell them to change the water a lot.

Most vets have very little knowledge on treating aquarium fish. One I consulted didnā€™t even know about the nitrogen cycle.
This is a crazy dream... But I want to own my own fish store some day... It'll be a looong time but I think I can do it...

Incredible! Did they even treat fish or does the average vet not?
The average vet doesnā€™t. The vast majority of their patients are cats and dogs. Most vets wouldnā€™t see enough fish to become and stay competent in treating them. Iā€™m sure there are vets out there that specialize in treating fish but they would be hard to come by. You would definitely want to locate them before any issue ever comes up so you donā€™t have to waste time searching when your fish need help. A good alternative would be consulting a forum like this.

A vet would be necessary in some countries (like the UK) if you need a medication though, and could be helpful in some cases for identifying a pathogen if itā€™s contagious and spreading through the tank and not responding to what youā€™ve tried. The vet I was speaking of is actually a good vet, just not for fish. I think most of them would be up front about whether they treat fish or not and would refer you elsewhere if they donā€™t feel they have the proper experience.

The average vet doesnā€™t.
You need to add '...in my own experience' to that.
In my own experience of practices within the last forty years, whilst some within the Practice lacked some knowledge and/or experience, their colleagues made up for it. All had a passion for animals that usually extended far beyond their working lives.

You need to add '...in my own experience' to that.
In my own experience of practices within the last forty years, whilst some within the Practice lacked some knowledge and/or experience, their colleagues made up for it. All had a passion for animals that usually extended far beyond their working lives.
Ok, in my own experience.....and as a fellow healthcare worker who understands how it works. You can't become or stay knowledgeable about something you never practice. And the "average" vet would see one fish for every hundred cats or dogs they treat. Or less. Don't get me wrong--there's certainly vets out there that know how to treat fish. But don't go walking into any vet clinic and expect one to be there.

Ok, in my own experience.....and as a fellow healthcare worker who understands how it works. You can't become or stay knowledgeable about something you never practice. And the "average" vet would see one fish for every hundred cats or dogs they treat. Or less. Don't get me wrong--there's certainly vets out there that know how to treat fish. But don't go walking into any vet clinic and expect one to be there.
No argument, but of the Practices I mentioned, at least one of the staff kept fish.

My vet wonā€™t treat anything besides the cats & dogs, but made an avian vet recommendation. Would do the same for any other pet Iā€™m sure.

To add to Bruces' post : I have noticed over the years there hardly is any feedback on the succes (or not) about use of meds (not only on this forum).
In how many cases is treatment with a med succesful? Even in well diagnosed cases.

My personal guess it hardly is ever in case of bacterial and fungal issues. I think 90% simply dies. The amount of died fish over the years brings tears to my eyes. Betta's, DG's, Goldfish, Rams, Angels, etc etc. an unbelievable list.

Meds and replacements are the trade's profit though. As long as that's the case nothing will change.
I agree the lack of feedback on whether recommended treatment works or not is frustrating. I would assume that if the treatment had been successful the poster would want to inform those who helped him of the success, so a lack of follow up would likely indicate failure.

One thing to keep in mind though is that the people posing those questions are inexperienced to begin with. The people who know what theyā€™re doing wouldnā€™t be asking the question in the first place. Plus often by the time the novice aquarist is asking the question their fish is already on deathā€™s door. So weā€™re only seeing the results of the worst case scenario here. Inexperienced people waiting til the fish is practically dead to guess at a treatment to use. There is a much higher success rate with medications when the person who is treating the infection knows what theyā€™re doing.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back