Media Question

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Hamsnacks

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Currently working on my 225 Gallon Tank and wondering if I have enough media in my sump for beneficial bacteria to grow.

Currently it's just a planted tank, but will eventually house about 100+ Tetras.

Not including the floss and foam it currently has:

2L of Seachem Matrix Media

2750 Grams of Eheim Ceramic Balls

150 Pieces of Bio Balls

Is that enough for the future or should I purchase more.

Also 2 other questions.

1) Can I let the Bio Balls just float on top of the Sump or better to have them on the floor of the Sump?

2) Eventually when the tank is cycled, what is a good amount of fish to introduce at a time to assure the bacteria is not overwhelmed?

Thank you! Sorry for the long post.

I think that is more than enough media. Once you stick a piece of sponge in there and some white filter matt on top, you will be able to farm Barramundi in that system.

Most sumps I have seen with the plastic bio-balls, simply have the balls floating in a chamber with water flowing through that chamber, and the balls just circulate and move around.

-------------------------
If the tank is cycled before fish are added, you can stick them all in at the same time.

The whole purpose of cycling a tank is to get the beneficial filter bacteria established in huge numbers so there is no ammonia or nitrite spike when you add fish.

Considering the size of your tank, I wouldn't even bother cycling it. I would grab a bit of filter media from one of your other tanks and add it, along with 100 neons to the big tank. Feed them and do water changes and let it run.

Make sure you quarantine new fish before adding them to the big tank.
If you are getting smaller schools of tetras (say 20 fish), add one school at a time to the big tank.
eg: add 20 glowlight tetras this week. When the fish in quarantine are clean, add them and put some new fish in quarantine for a few weeks.

-------------------------
You can also cycle the filter separately from the main tank. You just circulate the water and ammonia through the sump and don't pump it into the tank. You use less ammonia but the filter still cycles. When it has finished cycling, then you turn the taps on and pump the water up to the main tank.

I swear @Colin_T you got to start a Youtube channel or something. The amount of knowledge you have is unbelievable, so useful! Always so informative and helpful.

And he works at doing this on our site about 20 hours a day. And he works for free... he receives no payment from the site. In my opinion, he gets satisfaction from helping members solve fish related problems and from the thanks members give him. It also helps pass the time for him. We’re lucky to have him on our site. :good:

I have our legal department drawing up a contract for him to sign agreeing he will never leave this forum.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back