Mbu Puffer Fish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

sawickib

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hey everyone its been a long time since I posted but I just recently got an Mbu Puffer and its about 2-4" around there, its in a 180 gallon with a few other fish. Im going to be breeding ramshorn snails very soon, but I was wondering if there was any other foods that it will eat when its this small? I tried mysis shrimp and bloodworms but he just spit them out, he ate some snails i had but theyre all gone now so i have to wait for the 50 i ordered to show up now.  O and i ordered scuds that will hopefully establish themselves and maybe be another source of food. Also have to state he is not alone in the tank there is quite a few others and i named him Mizu which is water in Japenese lol. Thanks for the help!

I'd try mussels. Brackish pufers I kept in the past loved them

What other fish do you have with the Puffer?

Update! He ate shrimp and quite wholeheartedly too, so i believe I can feed him now!

The tankmates are geophagus's, bichers, an L25, pearl gouramis, gymnothorax polyuranodon and angelfish.

How do you think the Puffer would do with a Clown Knife Fish? Im ask for my sister tank.

Thank You

Well this is an Mbu puffer so i would only recommend it if you have a very large tank, i have an 180 gallon but will eventually have to upgrade for him.

For the aggression he isnt aggressive at all but all puffers are different and mbus are generally more docile than other species, it also helps when they are raised small around fish, so they learn what is food and what is not, i will also never feed live fish because i dont want him to think fish are food.

The clown would grow along side the puffer and most likely be fine, but that would be tricky you would definitely not want the clown knife to outgrow the puffer and eat him, because my understanding is clowns grow faster and are bit more aggressive, that also doesnt mean your puffer can take a chunk out of the clown, especially if the clown gets close to his food haha. Ive noticed my puffer getting pissed off when another fish goes for the same piece of shrimp and he almost nips their mouth...

My Sister/hub talking about make a 600 gallon tank or in side pond. 

What about a Arowana or Sting Ray.

Thank You for your help.

600 gallons would be great, and id think an mbu would do perfectly fine with those, just dont expect to be able to keep any invertebrates haha

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back