Maybe algae

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Lamie

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I have a small amount of black beard algae on the Heteranthera and I suspect an algae on the Hygrophila Siamensis which green bushy leaves are turning brownish in colour. The java Fern is also turning a funny red/brown spots like freckles all over the leaves. As suggested I have blacked out the background and timed the lights for 6 hours a day. Is there anything else I can do? I am getting ready to cut some of these leaves off the Heteranthera to remove the BBA and am wondering if this is a good idea. I can also do the same with the Hygrophila if needed.

I have a small amount of black beard algae on the Heteranthera and I suspect an algae on the Hygrophila Siamensis which green bushy leaves are turning brownish in colour. The java Fern is also turning a funny red/brown spots like freckles all over the leaves. As suggested I have blacked out the background and timed the lights for 6 hours a day. Is there anything else I can do? I am getting ready to cut some of these leaves off the Heteranthera to remove the BBA and am wondering if this is a good idea. I can also do the same with the Hygrophila if needed.
How well planted is your tank. Once you get over about 50% of the volume in plants the algae will stop growing. Algae hates oxygen, anything you can do to lift the oxygen content of your tank will help. Increase the number of plants, lower the temperature, increase the filtration.

How well planted is your tank. Once you get over about 50% of the volume in plants the algae will stop growing. Algae hates oxygen, anything you can do to lift the oxygen content of your tank will help. Increase the number of plants, lower the temperature, increase the filtration.
It's planted well I think 50%. Thanks for that. ? When you talk about increasing filtration do u suggest getting a second filter or getting a stronger filter or doing something like that? Thanks

Can we see a photo of the entire tank to assess the plant load. And a photo of the "algae" to ID.

Also, light data...intensity, spectrum. Duration is fine, if intensity and spectrum are in line. And, are you using any fertilizers, and if yes, which and how much/often?

I'll just note that filtration is not the issue with algae. The same algae will occur in the same conditions in tanks with no filters and in tanks with excessive water flow. I've had this. It is always the balance of light/nutrients that causes problem algae and that needs to be re-established/established to solve it.

Can we see a photo of the entire tank to assess the plant load. And a photo of the "algae" to ID.

Also, light data...intensity, spectrum. Duration is fine, if intensity and spectrum are in line. And, are you using any fertilizers, and if yes, which and how much/often?

I'll just note that filtration is not the issue with algae. The same algae will occur in the same conditions in tanks with no filters and in tanks with excessive water flow. I've had this. It is always the balance of light/nutrients that causes problem algae and that needs to be re-established/established to solve it.
I've just rung lfs. They say
Kelvin rating 6500
Lumen is 624
Is this any help to you?

Attachments

• IMG20211022112038.jpg
    IMG20211022112038.jpg
    268.6 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG20211022112104.jpg
    IMG20211022112104.jpg
    298.5 KB · Views: 59
Maybe algae?

Yes. Th light spectrum (6500K) is good. The Flourish Comprehensive is OK. Light is now six hours daily which is about as minimal as most suggest. The only thing now is intensity, and I have never bothered with lumens, but the Life-Glo 24-inch T8 tubes I use are 1470 lumen and I have two over the tank. This is moderate light. Some of the plants in the photos are fine. It is the stem plants that are the issue, and it may well be the light intensisty is too weak for these. I have had similar issues with hygrophyla in the past so I tossed it out and stay with plants that do well in the light I provide them.

How well planted is your tank. Once you get over about 50% of the volume in plants the algae will stop growing. Algae hates oxygen, anything you can do to lift the oxygen content of your tank will help. Increase the number of plants, lower the temperature, increase the filtration

Yes. Th light spectrum (6500K) is good. The Flourish Comprehensive is OK. Light is now six hours daily which is about as minimal as most suggest. The only thing now is intensity, and I have never bothered with lumens, but the Life-Glo 24-inch T8 tubes I use are 1470 lumen and I have two over the tank. This is moderate light. Some of the plants in the photos are fine. It is the stem plants that are the issue, and it may well be the light intensisty is too weak for these. I have had similar issues with hygrophyla in the past so I tossed it out and stay with plants that do well in the light I provide them.
Would it help to get another light of the same or brighter? It's an intro tank and there is room for another light.

Would it help to get another light of the same or brighter? It's an intro tank and there is room for another light.
I always like to have at least two lights on a tank. It is important to have one light at the front of the tank (Right on the Front edge) the reason for this is. If you have your light towards the back, your fish will always be in a shadow. So, two lights. Then you need to adjust the time the lights are on. So, the lights must be on timers. I always start at ten hours per day. Then you can adjust the amount of time until you get the right balance. You will never do well with plants unless your lights are on timers. Don't worry too much about light strength concentrate on the length of time.

I always like to have at least two lights on a tank. It is important to have one light at the front of the tank (Right on the Front edge) the reason for this is. If you have your light towards the back, your fish will always be in a shadow. So, two lights. Then you need to adjust the time the lights are on. So, the lights must be on timers. I always start at ten hours per day. Then you can adjust the amount of time until you get the right balance. You will never do well with plants unless your lights are on timers. Don't worry too much about light strength concentrate on the length of time.
Thanks, I do have a light fitting right next to the light which is in the middle closer to the front but it's not on the Front Edge though.

What is the tank size (dimensions and volume)? What type is the light, a single tube fluorescent in T8 or T5, or LED?

Once you have light that will promote plant growth, even if not all plant species, it is best to work with the light. Fish are affected by light intensity and it is best to be less rather than more. When I set up a tank I have the light unit, I find the best tube (I'm still using T8 fluorescent), and then I stay with plants that have grown well over the years. Plants that don't make it are tossed and forgotten. The fish come first, not the plants.

What is the tank size (dimensions and volume)? What type is the light, a single tube fluorescent in T8 or T5, or LED?

Once you have light that will promote plant growth, even if not all plant species, it is best to work with the light. Fish are affected by light intensity and it is best to be less rather than more. When I set up a tank I have the light unit, I find the best tube (I'm still using T8 fluorescent), and then I stay with plants that have grown well over the years. Plants that don't make it are tossed and forgotten. The fish come first, not the plants.
It's 60cm x 40cm x 30, 70 litres and an LED light (Novolux 60 white).

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back