Maximum Fish In Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

SarahMarie

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I've recently bought a 64litre 'fish box' aquarium which I'm cycling at the moment with 2 platys, a male and a female. I'm just wondering what other fish I could have in with the platys, and what's the most I could have in the tank. I'm planning on getting a second female platy once the tank has cycled. I'd like a few more colourful fish without overstocking the tank. I'm totally new to fish-keeping. HELP!
Any advice would be really appreciated!

I personally wouldn't add any more fish, because you have a male and female platy and they will breed easily and you'll end up with lots of fry.

Imo, 2 is too many for a fish-in cycle a tank that size. You are in for many daily water changes. Can you return one? It will make it easier but still no snap. You also need test kits for ammonia and nitrite. You will need to know your tank water pH as well.

I strongly urge you to go here and then click on "Your First Aquarium" read as much as you can. It is not perfect but it is pretty good. It is comprehensive, easy to understand and all in one place. I used it many years ago and still find it to be one of the better ones out there for beginners.

http://fins.actwin.com/aquariafaq.html

Thanks for your help! I feel a bit better now.
The man in the shop I went to (which has had excellent reviews) reccommended the two fish, so I assumed that would be ok. I'm also getting my water tested every few days at the shop. Last time I went the ammonia was quite high but since then I've added a live bacteria to the tank and it seems to have helped. I'm doing a 25% water change every couple of days too. The ph has always been fine each time I've checked. Should I do more or less water changes?

Sickbound said:
http://aqadvisor.com/

This website is a great help. You can use it to figure out what you can have in your tank.
This site's name was on the banned list when I was a moderator here and before that time too, a "#xxx" type code should be replacing the name.

Why? Because although good in theory, the database is horribly inaccurate about what fish can go in what sized tank, be safe with other tankmates, how many can be stocked etc.

Platties are far too active for a typical ~60cm long 64l tank, as adults they should reach a body length of ~5cm (plus tail fin). In small numbers and cramped tanks, they are likely to turn on each other and any other fish with them. I would not put a group of 8+ in anything less than a 90x30x30cm tank.

60cm tanks are pretty difficult to responsibly stock with fish that can live in them for life, the fish need to be small and sedate, plus not that many fish in terms of quantity can be put in them (~30cm of adult fish size is a decent maximum ballpark eg. 6x X-Ray Tetra).

So do you think I should just have a couple of platys and forgot about adding anymore fish? I don't want to overcrowd and end up killing my fish

You should do as many and as big water changes needed to keep ammonia and nitrites at 0. That normally means more than 25% every couple of days. More like 50% daily for the next 4-8 weeks.
Hence fishless cycle with ammonia is a lot easier as except for daily dosing, you don't bother with many water changes.

So do you think I should just have a couple of platys and forgot about adding anymore fish? I don't want to overcrowd and end up killing my fish          

Well, you have a male and a female, so you are gonna end up with this many platies
yes.gif

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pPE6PHLBEk[/media]

And they'll grow this big:

dscf4525v.jpg

what shops and actual tank manufactures state you can stock is quite crazy in some cases.

I have a 70 litre which states on the instructions  - ideal for 30-40 small tropical fish
My 125 litre stated on the instructions                  - ideal for 70-80 small tropical fish

No idea where they get that from ?? But my 70 litre has 14 small trops and I wouldn't put anymore in there at all.

b3cca said:
what shops and actual tank manufactures state you can stock is quite crazy in some cases.

I have a 70 litre which states on the instructions  - ideal for 30-40 small tropical fish
My 125 litre stated on the instructions                  - ideal for 70-80 small tropical fish

No idea where they get that from ?? But my 70 litre has 14 small trops and I wouldn't put anymore in there at all.
Agreed, my 2.5 gallon "shrimp" tank states that you can keep goldfish, corycats, platys, and other "small" fish...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back