Marketing For The Fish

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Jeremy180

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I was thinking it might be good to have a thread to suggest marketing strategies (for thr LFS) designed to help encourage better fishkeeping, while still being financially doable.
I'll go first.
Policy: After the first four of any schooling fish of the same species, the next four are 25% off, and any others after the eighth are 50% off (All fish must be same species to qualify)
EDIT: or alternately,
Buy four schooling fish, and get the fifth (same species) for free, and/or any further purchases of that species are 25% off.

Most LFS will do a deal for you if you ask. Maybe I'm just lucky where I live but I usually get a couple of extra fish thrown in for free or a discount for "bulk", depending on what I'm buying. I do tend to buy largish numbers as I like big shoals.

Ah, yes, but what I'm talking about here is some sort of financial incentive to encourage first-time fishkeepers to keep schooling fish in proper numbers.
Also, some sort of incentive to get customers to wait for the tank to cycle, but I'm not sure how to go about doing that

Jeremy180 said:
Ah, yes, but what I'm talking about here is some sort of financial incentive to encourage first-time fishkeepers to keep schooling fish in proper numbers.
Also, some sort of incentive to get customers to wait for the tank to cycle, but I'm not sure how to go about doing that

This could also be encouraging overcrowding...  double edged sword.

Right you are, maybe I should dial back the discounts a bit, to say:
Buy 4 schooling fish, get fifth of same species for 50% off, no other discounts?

What about a pamphlet that explains shoaling fish behavior, and on the back is a coupon for buy 5, get 1 free?

And the pamphlet also warns of overcrowding.   BUT, this would help with what I believe the ultimate goal should be... educating newbies.

eaglesaquarium said:
What about a pamphlet that explains shoaling fish behavior, and on the back is a coupon for buy 5, get 1 free.
I think we have a winner!
EDIT: Any other Ideas?
I was thinking some sort of incentive to encourage proper cycling, and another for proper stocking, and yet another for preventing incompatible tankmates.

Jeremy180 said:

What about a pamphlet that explains shoaling fish behavior, and on the back is a coupon for buy 5, get 1 free.
I think we have a winner!

Did I mention that my wife used to work in marketing?  

Hmm, how about some sort of discount to encourage the purchase of tanks over 4 gallons for bettas?
And something to help steer anyone wanting goldfish to 55-75+ gallon tanks
IMO, the two fish listed above probably get the short end of the stick more than any other species sold over here in the U.S.

Jeremy180 said:
Hmm, how about some sort of discount to encourage the purchase of tanks over 4 gallons for bettas?
And something to help steer anyone wanting goldfish to 55-75+ gallon tanks
IMO, the two fish listed above probably get the short end of the stick more than any other species sold over here in the U.S.

Probably right.

Not sure how to help you there...

Well, while it wouldn't exactly be a financial incentive, or Help the bettas much, but for Goldfish and other beginner "tank busters" have a life size outline of the fish's max adult size.
IMO, a 16 inch fish looks even bigger when you see it than when you just read the numbers. 

Like most chain stores and some LFS, like my job, we have brief descriptions of the species such as the scientific name, temperature requirements, max size, behaviour and occasionally tank size requirements. I believe all shops selling fish or aquatic species should follow this going the extra mile of mentioning pH, diet requirements, origins, etc.
They could also have the common compatibility charts, it wouldn't be difficult to research and make a few of these charts to hang up around the store.
That why, customers won't return to the store complaining about their new fish killing their current fish. Unless that was the idea to get them to come back....
But what I'm saying is fish shops should have more facts stated around the store, or like most chain stores, pamphlets to be taken.
This next idea might be a little on the expensive side, but I think instead of selling the fish in bags only, it would be nice providing little boxes just big enough to fit the bags in. That way the ride home for the fish can be less stressful and the bag is better protected from popping. I tend to do this for every new fish I purchase, I always bring a little box, lined with a soft, thin rag. In fact, my store sometimes will provide a box for customers purchasing a lot of fish.
Keep up with updating: most or pretty much all chains store have websites advertising what fish they carry, whether they're in stock or not. My fish shop always updates their website when they get new shipment in, this is where a lot of our customers come in looking for specific fish, plants or corals that we just got in or just ran out. This keeps the flow in selling fish a lot more smoother and keeps the fish from sitting in the store tanks for too long.
Presentation is everything... We've all been in fish shops where it's die off in all directions. Beginning to look like the employees don't keep eyes on the tanks too often... No one wants fish that come from bad looking tanks that appear diseased or tainted. Die off clean ups should be done before opening and before closing, as well as cleaning up when noticed, obviously.
All fish shops, or even just any pet store in general need to have a balance of business and proper livestock care. The better the livestock, the better the business. But of course it all sort of boils down to how the employees go about their tasks, really. They're the ones that are in charge of selling and caring for the livestock. But some stores focus more on the business side than the general health and wellness of the livestock they're trying to get out the doors.

Jeremy180 said:
Well, while it wouldn't exactly be a financial incentive, or Help the bettas much, but for Goldfish and other beginner "tank busters" have a life size outline of the fish's max adult size.
IMO, a 16 inch fish looks even bigger when you see it than when you just read the numbers. 

That's brilliant!

I will go out on a limb here.

I think there should be no marketing strategy EG buy 5 get 1 free or any of that nonsense. I think fish are too cheap and as a result people dont care as much about them, They become disposable, If I had it my way a Guppies would cost $70 each and you would have to buy at least 3, Bettas would cost $100 each and you would have to prove you can house the fish correctly. Doing it this way would reduce if not cut out impulse buying. People would think twice about fish care if they had to lay a $100 bill on the counter for just 1 fish.

NickAu said:
I will go out on a limb here.

I think there should be no marketing strategy EG buy 5 get 1 free or any of that nonsense. I think fish are too cheap and as a result people dont care as much about them, They become disposable, If I had it my way a Guppies would cost $70 each and you would have to buy at least 3, Bettas would cost $100 each and you would have to prove you can house the fish correctly. Doing it this way would reduce if not cut out impulse buying. People would think twice about fish care if they had to lay a $100 bill on the counter for just 1 fish.
While prices like this would cut out impulse buying, it would also cut out a lot of hobbyists, myself included.
The main reason I'll never even consider going saltwater is I just plain can't afford it

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back