Male To Female Fry Ratio

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

AngelOfDeath

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
How many males are the to females in a batch of guppy fry? I only seem to have about 2 in 15

There is no set ratio. Sometimes you get more females than males, sometimes the other way around. Just keep in mind that some males will appear as females for quite some time before their gonopodium becomes apparent, so you may end up with more males than you think.

There is no set ratio. Sometimes you get more females than males, sometimes the other way around. Just keep in mind that some males will appear as females for quite some time before their gonopodium becomes apparent, so you may end up with more males than you think.

Ah ok so what I think are female anal fins on my 8mm platies could turn into male wotsits?

A typical ratio is about equal numbers of each. If you try to sex the fry the first month or two you will come to the conclusion that you have mostly females. It takes a while for the males to reveal their gender through sex characteristics. Almost all fry will seem to be females if you don't give them time to mature and develop.

No disagreement Fish48. It is just a good idea to give enough time to distinguish what you have, as you know very well I am sure. My 8 month old virgin female group of wild type X helleri suddenly has started to show a male in the group. I am waiting to see if it is truly a male or a female in disguise as a male. I don't have the genetic testing capability to find out if he refuses to breed though.

well the 20 i had were 100 % all females .

I normally get about 30- 40% males

Usually i find the lower the temp the more male u get, but i know u keep your's cool like i do.
Still it gives you plenty of breeding stock

No disagreement Fish48. It is just a good idea to give enough time to distinguish what you have, as you know very well I am sure. My 8 month old virgin female group of wild type X helleri suddenly has started to show a male in the group. I am waiting to see if it is truly a male or a female in disguise as a male. I don't have the genetic testing capability to find out if he refuses to breed though.

Usually late developers are held back by alpha males, it's just a genetic trate to produce large fish to offer a more domint breeding male. Guess if u had other males in the tank he'll of waited to nearly 12 months befor devloping.

Also would be intresting to remove him, would not be supprised if you get a couple more devlope still.

I have al alpha male in mine, he is the most vivacious and colourful, i think i spotted one other male, he doesnt look very sexually active though. I guess you are supposed to get more females to males as this would mean more future fry

HelterSkelter, my tank is a species only with just that half dozen fish in it. There is at least one other that I suspect may be a late bloomer waiting for an opportunity to show himself. Meanwhile, all fish have been together with each other since I got them and they spent the summer in an outdoors tub getting some growth on them. There were no dominant males around to inhibit them. What I am trying to do by leaving the apparent male with the others is to find out if he is really a functional male. Once I have that information I can remove him and look for the one other that I suspect may be male to develop.
New subject. Do you expect to be at the ALA convention? You are one of the ones I would love to meet if you are there.

Sadily i cant, far to much money to travel over ATM, but i would love to at some point.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back