Male Peacock Gudgeon hiding or dead?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

That is far too long for the lights to be on matey

Lighting should not be on for more than 8 hours and even that is pushing it really

I am not surprised the fish hides, the poor blighter probably has a migraine with full intensity lights for that many hours

That is far too long for the lights to be on matey

Lighting should not be on for more than 8 hours and even that is pushing it really

I am not surprised the fish hides, the poor blighter probably has a migraine with full intensity lights for that many hours
Ok. I should definitely turn the time down for the lights then

And if you've only got java fern in there you could turn down the intensity too, it doesn't need high light thankfully

So as most of y'all know I had a mystery that has two parts... One was where was the gudgeon and the second why was he hiding there?... Well today during a water change, all answers have been revealed... The answer to it?... I lifted up a rock and saw the male gudgeon under there. He immediately flared and then floated over something... It was a huge clump of eggs! I thought they we're too young... So I was like: "These are obviously practice eggs"... Well upon further inspection, the ones on the ground had fallen from an even bigger clump under the rock but on top if that makes sense... They all had black little dots on them, proving they did in fact have gudgeons inside of the eggs and they were fertilized... The female has been eating all the ones falling and the male guards the ones on top. I will not mess with the rock any more... SO EXCITING!

So as most of y'all know I had a mystery that has two parts... One was where was the gudgeon and the second why was he hiding there?... Well today during a water change, all answers have been revealed... The answer to it?... I lifted up a rock and saw the male gudgeon under there. He immediately flared and then floated over something... It was a huge clump of eggs! I thought they we're too young... So I was like: "These are obviously practice eggs"... Well upon further inspection, the ones on the ground had fallen from an even bigger clump under the rock but on top if that makes sense... They all had black little dots on them, proving they did in fact have gudgeons inside of the eggs and they were fertilized... The female has been eating all the ones falling and the male guards the ones on top. I will not mess with the rock any more... SO EXCITING!
EEEEEK ROCKY THATS SO EXCITING!!! I hope some fry make it!!!

Cool! Leave them be now, you're obviously doing something right so don't touch! Keep us updated

Was he stuck the other time though?
Im starting to think no... 1st of all its the same rock I found him in and 2nd of all he went into the hole when I moved the rock and hugged inside of it to stay with the eggs! Although I saw no eggs the last time

Im starting to think no... 1st of all its the same rock I found him in and 2nd of all he went into the hole when I moved the rock and hugged inside of it to stay with the eggs! Although I saw no eggs the last time
Man, he’s just trying to find a safe home for his kids and you’re tearing the tank apart:rofl: clearly he’s over it

You are peaking my interest in this fish. I am thinking they might have similar behaviors to my blue stream gobi, who I find particularly interesting to watch. Looks like the fry have to grow some before they can take even brine shrimp naupli. Good Luck I would seriously consider @OliveFish05 advice.

couldn't be bothered reading all this but maybe he was looking after eggs?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back