Male Peacock Gudgeon hiding or dead?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Your fish has been in and out of its cave, it just doesn't like the look of you. How ugly are you!!!
Very ugly... Ive been called ugly all my life by a lot of people... All because I have acne I try to control with red hair and freckles... Sooo... Yah, I'm ugly

Photos...we NEED photos of this stupid Houdini in reverse fish
As soon as I got him out he was zoominh and zooming around scared... I figured I'd let him settle but this morning he's hiding again 😂😂

As soon as I got him out he was zoominh and zooming around scared... I figured I'd let him settle but this morning he's hiding again 😂😂
Well that ain't good enough kiddo.....you'll just have to park yourself infront of the aquarium, camera in hand, and patiently wait til the little blighter comes back out :p

:lol:

Well that ain't good enough kiddo.....you'll just have to park yourself infront of the aquarium, camera in hand, and patiently wait til the little blighter comes back out :p

:lol:
When I found him I was actually sad and amazed... The female was in there with him! And she was right next to him... It almost looked like she was comforting him... She wasnt being aggressive at all... Just staying by his side... I will try to get a photo... And in a while I will hopefully switch out all the rock... Its too dangerous...

Be careful if messing with the rock incase they have deposited. Don't go upsetting them by removing or changing the layout of their territory

Lets face it, the poor blighter has had to fight off other fish to get his true love and now he finally has peace and quiet to get all jiggy with it....then along comes this human who reaches in and shifts all his garden about without asking him first

Poor blighter....he'll bite you soon out of sheer frustration

Be careful if messing with the rock incase they have deposited. Don't go upsetting them by removing or changing the layout of their territory

Lets face it, the poor blighter has had to fight off other fish to get his true love and now he finally has peace and quiet to get all jiggy with it....then along comes this human who reaches in and shifts all his garden about without asking him first

Poor blighter....he'll bite you soon out of sheer frustration
Well their practicing rn... Their too young to actually lay eggs...

Well their practicing rn... Their too young to actually lay eggs...
Let them practice in peace.....how would you like it if you were "in the mood" and your mum or dad kept interupting you?

If the fish are being physically injured then by all means sort the sharper parts of the scaping but if they are just making themselves scarce, leave them be. Not all fish are social butterflies with their humans, some are often hidden from view til they feel comfortable to venture out. Having human hands ferretting about in their home is stressful for them.

One of my Rams is a shy kid, hardly ever ventures out abd about but he is happy and healthy so I won't move the decor just so I can see more of him.

Let them practice in peace.....how would you like it if you were "in the mood" and your mum or dad kept interupting you?

If the fish are being physically injured then by all means sort the sharper parts of the scaping but if they are just making themselves scarce, leave them be. Not all fish are social butterflies with their humans, some are often hidden from view til they feel comfortable to venture out. Having human hands ferretting about in their home is stressful for them.

One of my Rams is a shy kid, hardly ever ventures out abd about but he is happy and healthy so I won't move the decor just so I can see more of him.
When I found him he was actually stuck... He couldnt move... I had to physically remove him... If I didnt he would have died slowly

When I found him he was actually stuck... He couldnt move... I had to physically remove him... If I didnt he would have died slowly
How did you free him?

I hope you didn't grab him cos you may well have introduced infection by moving/removing his slime coat by doing that. Despite what others do or say you should never handle fish without precautions.

When one of my BN's got stuck I kept her underwater and wore nitrile gloves to gently wiggle her out...she freed herself despite being stuck fast in an ornament, all I did was hold the ornament upside down which allowed her to relax and wiggle herself out. Took her a good 20 minutes but she was and is fine (reproducing nicely currently)

I thought about using rweezers but I thought I may damage him... I really didnt want to do the other way but I had to... So I put the rock in the water and quickly made an up and down motion to hopefully free him... All of a sudden he was dislodged from the crevis and swam away... He was just a little discolored but he still had all the markings and colors, just a bit faded... But then he went under a rock and stayed there and only came out for a bit
How did you free him?

I hope you didn't grab him cos you may well have introduced infection by moving/removing his slime coat by doing that. Despite what others do or say you should never handle fish without precautions.

When one of my BN's got stuck I kept her underwater and wore nitrile gloves to gently wiggle her out...she freed herself despite being stuck fast in an ornament, all I did was hold the ornament upside down which allowed her to relax and wiggle herself out. Took her a good 20 minutes but she was and is fine (reproducing nicely currently)

Was he really stuck though? And shaking a rock vigorously in your tank is asking for trouble, you'll scare the fish to death in a tsunami of hell!

Was he really stuck though? And shaking a rock vigorously in your tank is asking for trouble, you'll scare the fish to death in a tsunami of hell!
TBH I am not entirely certain that the fish was stuck

My BN was absolutely stuck cos she was stuck down the neck of a small vase like thing with her finnage in the bowl part and her tail sticking out the top of the neck. She also had the intelligence to wiggle the ornament to the side of the aquarium and bang it on the glass til I rescued her

I have a feeling that the Gudgeon just wanted away from something...whether its the lighting is too bright or something like the experiences with the other two now deceased fish has disturbed its confidence

I am no fish psychologist but to me it does not sound like the fish was stuck, it sounds more like it just isn't comfortable about the aquarium or something in the aquarium...filter flow too high, lights too bright....it just wanted to feel safe and find sanctuary

TBH I am not entirely certain that the fish was stuck

My BN was absolutely stuck cos she was stuck down the neck of a small vase like thing with her finnage in the bowl part and her tail sticking out the top of the neck. She also had the intelligence to wiggle the ornament to the side of the aquarium and bang it on the glass til I rescued her

I have a feeling that the Gudgeon just wanted away from something...whether its the lighting is too bright or something like the experiences with the other two now deceased fish has disturbed its confidence

I am no fish psychologist but to me it does not sound like the fish was stuck, it sounds more like it just isn't comfortable about the aquarium or something in the aquarium...filter flow too high, lights too bright....it just wanted to feel safe and find sanctuary
The lights are fairly bright... Maybe I can try to dim them

How many hours are the lights on for each day?
It comes on super dim at 6:45AM and then slowly brightens up to ALMOST max at 7:15AM. It goes down to almost the dimmest setting at 5pm and turns off at 5:30Pm

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back