Male Danios Changed Colour

JustKia

Fish Herder
Joined
Nov 18, 2008
Messages
1,068
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Warwickshire, UK
Based on body shape I'm pretty certain 2 of my danios are male (1 zebra and 1 leopard).
Woke up this morning and their usual silvery colour is more gold and they are chasing 2 of the female leopards - usually both of the males after 1 female (and boy oh boy can that girl swim fast!), but sometimes they will each be after a different female. The 3rd leopard female and the 2 zebra females don't seem to be getting any attention from the boys at all.

Is it just safe to leave them to get on with things? I don't have breeder tanks, I just have the one tank that is still cycling (I know it's not the reccomended way, but we're keeping on top of water testing and changes).
When I first got them I didn't honestly think about asking for "all same sex please" at the LFS and thus I ended up with what I have.
 
, I just have the one tank that is still cycling (I know it's not the reccomended way, but we're keeping on top of water testing and changes).

Well if they are indeed in breeding condition, and that is the reason for the colourchanging and the lady chasing - then that shows you are definately providing them with good conditions. Keep on top of water tests especially, and you may end up with babies. Even if you dont have time to do a water change, do a test. You may see from the test results that you are more cycled than you thought.
 
Thanks for the reply.
Still can't quite get that magic zero in 24 hours. Ammonia and nitrIte are always paler than the first colour block but not zero and so they are <0.2mg/l and <0.3mg/l respectively. NitrAte is usually around 12.5-25mg/l temp is 26*C, pH is about 7.2-7.4
Tank has been running for 4 weeks, danios in for 3 weeks (tomorrow), the first week I was using nutrafin cycle and fish flakes - for what it's (not) worth.

But so long as the little fellows are happy =) I'll leave them do what nature dictates.
If they should spawn are the eggs visible? Would they be likely to eat them?
 
Ammonia and nitrIte are.... <0.2mg/l and <0.3mg/l respectively. NitrAte is usually around 12.5-25mg/l temp is 26*C, pH is about 7.2-7.4

If they should spawn are the eggs visible? Would they be likely to eat them?

Ammonia and nitrIte are the only worriers there. NitrAte is not toxic at anywhere near those levels, usual level nitrAte in my aquarium is just over 25ml/l. Helps the plants grow but doesnt cause too much algae at that level.

You may be overfeeding the fish. If the tank is not quite cycled yet and you feed a lot, the poop will cause ammonia spikes and be detrimental to the tank start up. Id do a food free day or two. It wont hurt the fish. If you cant do that then halve the food you are giving.

I would reduce the tank temperature a bit (22 to 24 degrees is fine and saves energy too).

When you do the water changes, try to treat the water (dechlorinate) before it is added to the tank, and add it slowly. This will prevent any stress on the bacteria that are already populating the filter medium. Even a little bit of chlorine, or sudden temperature change can knock the bacteria out in a filter when they are not yet established.

I think danios are scatter spawners. Scatter spawners scatter their eggs on the substrate so you may never see them. (someone please correst me if they are not scatter spawners) Maybe you could google it. Most sections about fish explain the breeding behaviours.

Lots of fish eat their eggs. I wouldnt be suprised if most did get eaten. scattering eggs does make them harder to find tho, so some may survive.

Good luck.

x
 
Reduced the temp - now sitting around 23*C and I really don't think the fish have noticed.
They're way too busy riding the filter flow and zipping around in the plants =)
Seems the boys have calmed down through out the day, gone back to silver and leaving the girls alone - will see what they're up to in the morning.
I've been feeding 20-30 hikari micro wafers or the equivalent of flake or 1/2 cube of freeze dried brine shrimp once a day. It's always gone in next to no time, but will give them a food free day.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top