Male Betta with Red Tailed Shark

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

fishyboi3033

Reaction score
This is not perminant but right now I have a male betta fish, red tailed shark, and a few other small passive fish in a 10 gallon tank. (The RTS is still a baby and will be moved out within a few months or so when I get a 40 gallon tank). I'm worried about both the betta and the RTS as the RTS looks very stressed and the Betta keeps flaring its fins which will lead to stress. This is non permanent as I said but it is worrying me.
I was thinking about leaving the Betta in a vase for a few months but i dont want to deteriorate its immune system and keep him from exercising for that long. But I also don't want to stress them out to the point of death either. I feel as I'm in a moral dilemma. What should I do?

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Have you checked the water quality for ammonia, nitrite & pH? If there is any ammonia or nitrite in the water it will stress the fish. Perhaps do a 75% water change & gravel clean the substrate each day for a week and see how the fish look. Add some plants and a bit of driftwood for the shark to hide under and see how they go.

Most fish health issues are stress related and caused by poor water quality or not enough shelter. :)

Colin is correct, but there is something else here, and that is the absolute non-compatibility of these two fish. I suggest you re-home (give away, back to the store, whatever) the Red Tail Shark. A 40g tank is not sufficient space3 for a healthy RTS so it is best to remove it now. The Betta is undoubtedly annoyed with the RTS. And in time the RTS might decide to physically deal with the Betta, it is normal.

Colin is correct, but there is something else here, and that is the absolute non-compatibility of these two fish. I suggest you re-home (give away, back to the store, whatever) the Red Tail Shark. A 40g tank is not sufficient space3 for a healthy RTS so it is best to remove it now. The Betta is undoubtedly annoyed with the RTS. And in time the RTS might decide to physically deal with the Betta, it is normal.
I actually wanted to make an update. I moved them into the 40 gallon, and the RTS is nearly fully grown and he loves his driftwood that is put in there. He chases around the tetras sometimes but never attacks. I decided to leave the betta in, and they actually have become good tank mates. Both their colors are always vibrant and strong, and they do not attack or mess with each other in any way. They swim past each other a lot, and I have never seen any territorial issues between the two.

I actually wanted to make an update. I moved them into the 40 gallon, and the RTS is nearly fully grown and he loves his driftwood that is put in there. He chases around the tetras sometimes but never attacks. I decided to leave the betta in, and they actually have become good tank mates. Both their colors are always vibrant and strong, and they do not attack or mess with each other in any way. They swim past each other a lot, and I have never seen any territorial issues between the two.

Because you don't see something, or think you don't, does not mean the situation is good for the fish.

Most reactions

trending

Back