malachite green not changing tank water’s color?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

france is pain

Reaction score
I have a fish with in in my tank, and I’ve been using ich-x (which has malachite green) to treat it, but for some reason the water isn’t staying blue. It’s just disappearing. I’ve been using the correct dosage, and took out the activated charcoal in my filter. The ich doesn’t appear to be getting any better either. I ordered the stuff off amazon, and it’s pretty hot where I live, so could the bottle of overheated making the medicine ineffective?

Did you shake the bottle? Also recheck that you dosed properly. When adding it, it is best to take a jar of tank water from the tank then add the proper dose of MG, shake and then add the water all around the top of the tank surface and near the filter outflow. If you had already dosed the tank and want to perform my suggestion above, , first do a 75% water change while vacuuming the substrate. You might also check the expiration date on the bottle.

Last edited:
Did you shake the bottle? Also recheck that you dosed properly. When adding it, it is best to take a jar of tank water out of the tank then add the proper dose of MG, shake and add all around the top of the tank surface and near the filter outflow.
Yeah I’ve been dozing it properly, but I’ll try the jar method. Thank you so much! :)

Just be sure to do a large Water change first before adding more MG.

Instead of using the MG, some members prefer to try to cure ich by raising the temperature of the tank to about 86 degree F and adding aquarium salt at the rate of 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons of water. After a week, do a 50% water change while vacuuming the substrate to remove ich eggs, then add water and dose more salt for the amount of replaced water. Keep the heat high for at least 2 weeks.

Take note also tht Malachite green will become deactivated when it's being exposed to light.

Turn off your light when you use it else it won't be effective. This is the downside of malachite green.

Also, depending on the concentration that you use. It may not really colour up the water I think.

Also, if treating with MG be sure there is no carbon in your filter as that will remove any meds, defeating the purpose of the med. After treatment, you can add carbon in the filter to remove meds.

Do not turn off your filter. Increase aeration if you can, via an airpump and air stone. Just be sure there is no carbon in the filter media.

Be careful when handling/ using Malachite Green because it's carcinogenic (causes cancer).

Avoid coming in contact with it.
If you are using a powder form of Malachite Green, wear rubber gloves and a dust mask, and an apron (or wash clothes after handling it.
Wash hands with warm soapy water after handling medications or working in the aquarium.

--------------------
Are you sure the fish have white spot and not something else?
If you post pictures we can check them to confirm it is white spot.

--------------------
The medication can break down if kept in warm/ hot environments or if exposed to direct sunlight. Check the expiry date to make sure it hasn't gone off.

The water usually loses the colour after 24 hours or so, depending on dose rate used and on what else is in the medication.

--------------------
The following link has information about white spot and has various treatments you can try if the malachite green doesn't do the job.

Be careful when handling/ using Malachite Green because it's carcinogenic (causes cancer).

Avoid coming in contact with it.
If you are using a powder form of Malachite Green, wear rubber gloves and a dust mask, and an apron (or wash clothes after handling it.
Wash hands with warm soapy water after handling medications or working in the aquarium.

--------------------
Are you sure the fish have white spot and not something else?
If you post pictures we can check them to confirm it is white spot.

--------------------
The medication can break down if kept in warm/ hot environments or if exposed to direct sunlight. Check the expiry date to make sure it hasn't gone off.

The water usually loses the colour after 24 hours or so, depending on dose rate used and on what else is in the medication.

--------------------
The following link has information about white spot and has various treatments you can try if the malachite green doesn't do the job.
Is this carcinogenic for the fish as well

Yes, malachite green can cause cancer to any bird, fish or animal. However, most fish die from other issues well before any cancers appear.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back