Making A Website

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

smurfyy_2k3

it's a shame stupidity isn't painfull
Reaction score
i plan on creating a really useful website and am trying to gather a much information a possible :)

i would like it to be as detailed as possible and top be usful from anyone from beginners to fish maniacs

is there anything you people find hard to recieve information on which should be inclueded

some of the not so common cichlids like synspillus and flyer cichlids. i can suppy you with some photos of the flyer cichlids when i get my new cam...
how do you do a web page anyways???

well i use a source code called html and a program called dreamweaver and i would be greatful of any photos and information you can send me my email address is in my profile

HTML is not really source code, and if you want a site that big (I think you want it big) you will need something a lot better than DreamWeaver. You really need a database-driven site, with a good CMS.

will do....do you want detailed descriptions or just basics about breeding, feeding whatever...

very very detailed

i will probably adopt a different code any way maybe xhtml

ok wot do you suggest

bearing in mind ive created quiet a few websites usin html and basic javascript

fish feeding. Like which fish well accept what and which is the most favourite foods etc. (eg like white clouds seem to prefer live fast moving foods like daphnia.) just a suggestion and you probs would be able to get alot of the fishes feeding erm behaviour off this forum.
Also breeding experiences! that would be good. :X

Good content management systems:

Mambo Open Source (recently renamed) is good for "page management" and for "pure content", things like accurate information in manuals, instructions, walkthroughs etc.

PHP Nuke - huge community and very poor security, but its a great web portal. It allows users (of certain priviliges which you can set) to upload or download things. It comes with huge modifications and modules. PHP BB has been recoded to fit right into it and comes packaged as standard. Theres a massive selection of website themes available too, usually free to download from many different sites. I host my own open source project for this particular CMS that lets you add static pages easily, similarly to Mambo ;) staticnuke.com is it if youre interested

GPG Nuke / Dragonfly - its the same as PHP nuke, most modules are more compliant and is massively more secure, but it has a smaller userbase. I prefer this one, even though I still use Nuke myself... havent gotten round to changing.

OS Commerce / Zen Cart - this is for ecommerce and is absolutely wonderful. Massive support from a massive community but the themes tend to cost money to get and are, unfortunately, a bit of a pain to make. Aside from that, its wonderful.

If you have a web host, check whether you have an application called Fantastico with it. It will have all these and more ready to install onto your site with just a few clicks and it will even set up your databases for you.

Want more info? Email me ;) Also check this out: http://www.sharphorizon.com/store - this website took me all of five hours to put together, start to finish using OS Commerce.

making pure HTML websites is nice, but theres so many other alternatives out there that save so much work its unreal. Check this website too, it compares only some of the available CMS systems on the internet:

http://www.cmsmatrix.org - thats how many options you have ;)

*edit* please dont see this is a shameless plug for a site im about to launch properly! It really did only take me a few hours :p

cheers itll be a good two months before i can do it any way what with all the school work n that

still i will be working on it in my free time and i am gathering information from the net as i type

If you want me to hook you up with some hosting, webspace etc just mail me. Ive got a few hosting packages with room for some extra in them that you are more than welcome to take advantage of :D I can install whatever you want in there and get you all set up ;) Just give me a shout :D

ok wot do you suggest

bearing in mind ive created quiet a few websites usin html and basic javascript
As I said ...

you will need something a lot better than DreamWeaver. You really need a database-driven site, with a good CMS.

I was heading for the same offer as Peter - hosting,etc.

IMHO I would choose Joomla instead of Mambo, team that with SMF (Simple Machine Forums) and Coppermine for the gallery

Most reactions

Back