Lucky, the Tail-less Wonder

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

I know nothing about breeding them, but with all the mass breeding they do to supply them to the stores wouldnt it be possible a few be born with "flaws"?
Oh well he is a handsome man anyhow, he can thrill and woo all the female bettas with his story of survival and bravery. :p :wub:
Once they look over and see BettaMomma with her nose against the tank that might ruin the mood though. :p :D :lol:

I've been trying to find out some info on other bettas without tails.
I got nothin.

Do any of you know where I could find more info out about this?
I really wanna know what the dealio is.....

I'm pretty sure it's possible to be born without a tail, as it'd be considered a genetic defect. But then, rather than shipping the fish off to be sold, chances are it would be culled before doing so because there aren't that many people in the market for a tailless betta.

:huh: :eek: :-( O....M...G... He looks so... err... mutilated. I wouldn't be surprised if some idiot decided to chop off his tail. The people working in the fish departments at Walmart definitely aren't the "brightest crayons in the box" if you know what I mean. He could have had really bad fin rot maybe? So they decided to cut it off? I dunno... it's creepy, whatever happened. But he is soooo cute. :wub: Good luck with him!

Hmm...
would it be possible for him to have had finrot that bad on just his tail? Or that would warrant cutting just his tail off?
The rest of his fins are in perfect condition.

I honestly can't believe that he'd have been kept around this long like this on purpose, since birth? Although his is a remarkably good navigator and swimmer for having a major body part missing such as his rudder :)

Most of my coworkers are starting to leave so I'll be able to post pics pretty soon.

did they not ask you why you wanted a tail less fish.......at the lfs or were they just pleased to get rid of him so they dont look idiots....... :eek: some indian almond leaves will help him grow back a bit of a tail it may not come back to a full tail depends if the nerve endings have been damaged and ther is any tail from wich a new one can grow.....he is certainally a lucky lad........ :kana: :kana: :kana: :kana:

Well, I did get him at WalMart. Even the checkout lady didn't notice his tail (or lack thereof) when I handed him to her to type in the UPC code. She just read the number off the top and said "Do you want that in a bag?". Truthfully, they probably didn't even notice his tail was gone the whole time he was there. Just one of the huge quantities of bettas that goes thru there.

It's sad.
I'm glad he ended up with me.

I adore him. :wub:

IF it regrows.
If he was born with it that way, he might just be the tail-less wonder for the rest of his days :)

BettaMomma said:
Well, I did get him at WalMart. Even the checkout lady didn't notice his tail (or lack thereof) when I handed him to her to type in the UPC code. She just read the number off the top and said "Do you want that in a bag?". Truthfully, they probably didn't even notice his tail was gone the whole time he was there. Just one of the huge quantities of bettas that goes thru there.

It's sad.

I cant get over that statement do you want it in a bag...... :rofl: .......how else would you take it i know you should have had it in the cup thats one less they had to put another veil tail in....... :crazy:......do you want it in a bag :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: sorry that has just tickled me i double bag mine and wrap in newspaper to stop them from doing damage to them selves even if people collect from me that is so unbelievable take away in the cup its like buying a cup of tea to drink out..... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Bettaman said:
BettaMomma said:

It's sad.

I cant get over that statement do you want it in a bag...... :rofl: .......how else would you take it i know you should have had it in the cup thats one less they had to put another veil tail in....... :crazy:......do you want it in a bag :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: sorry that has just tickled me i double bag mine and wrap in newspaper to stop them from doing damage to them selves even if people collect from me that is so unbelievable..... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Oh, I don't ever get my bettas put into a bag from the cup - I take em right home in the cup. she was just wondering if I wanted to put the cup into a walmart bag.

I almost called the hag an insensitive witch, but I guess all she does all day long is ask people if they "want that in a bag" so when live thing comes thru it probably doesn't matter.

Come on ..........any live thing i am imagining a cat......do you want that in a bag........she must be so board no wonder you get mad at these people good on ya........ :lol: :rofl: :rofl:

BettaMomma said:
IF it regrows.
If he was born with it that way, he might just be the tail-less wonder for the rest of his days :)
You'll notice if it's regrowing.. there'll be some clear growth along the base of his spine.
I've discovered that one of my boys, Captain Morgan, is a serial tail chewer now, so I've seen it a lot.. the best thing you can do, really, is just constant water changes for clean water, a bit of salt and Melafix/Pimafix.

Though you're the expert on bringing bettas back to health compared to me, so I'm sure whatever you're doing is fine. :nod:

Most reactions

Back