Lowering pH

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

dixaisy930

I'm trying really hard to act normal
Reaction score
I've never tested my pH until a few days ago when I got a test kit for it on clearance (love a deal :rolleyes: :lol: ) My water's pH is 7.6 It's not too high for any of my current fish, but it's on the high end. I really would prefer not to lower it chemically (eventhough the kit came with phUp and pHDown). What are my other options? Is it alright to lower it with the chemicals? I really prefer to use as little chemicals as possible in my tank.

nah..you dont need it :)

Your Ph is Perfect most to all tropical fish live comfortably in that Ph Range!...So IMO I would not add any of that stuff. That can harm fish more than help them. When the Ph goes down so fast and drasticly you shock your fish and kill them.....Since your fish where fine before you tested your Ph...then that means there happy with it!

So I say dont tamper with your Ph because its fine! :nod: :D

I agree completely. Altering your pH is usually going to cause more trouble than it will solve. Your fish have already aclimated to your pH, and if you buy locally they are most likely comfortable with the higher pH as well. Using chamicals to alter pH usually is only short term, and the pH often crashes. I have a very high pH of 8.2, and none of my fish suffer for it. Just spend a little more time aclimating any new fish and they will be fine. The only instance where I might try to lower pH is if I am trying to keep a very delicate fish, or perhaps trying to induce breeding. Generally, I leave it alone.

\Dan

Likewise, I agree you don't need to alter your PH....its fine.

If you still want it slightly more acidic, use bogwood.

Just goes to show you, the higher number of posts does not = an expert.

i think that the high number of posts show that the person either has asked a lot of questions and should know most of the basics or the person has answered the questions of others, making him an "expert" .

kent said:
i think that the high number of posts show that the person either has asked a lot of questions and should know most of the basics or the person has answered the questions of others, making him an "expert" .
On this, and many other forums people post lots of random, meaningless, and/or stupid things that have nothing to do with "the basics" or answering questions. So post count is not indicative of experience. I totally disregard post count when I ask or answer questions. I have some very good knowledge and experience. I did when my post count was 2. So did/do many other people.

/End thread hijack.

\Dan

like the other said, altering your ph, especially when you already have fish in your tank, is not a good idea.

also, the phosphates in most ph altering products cause exessive algae growth.

HTH :D

If you want to lower your pH, use sulphuric acid for that.

nirvana... said:
also, the phosphates in most ph altering products cause exessive algae growth.

Yes, most commercial products contain phosphates.

:*) Well, I never paid attention to pH in the first place since originally the fish i was interested in needed a pH at that level....

Just because you have a lot of fish doesn't mean you still can't post questions, does it? :*) ;)

dixaisy930 said:
:*) Well, I never paid attention to pH in the first place since originally the fish i was interested in needed a pH at that level....

Just because you have a lot of fish doesn't mean you still can't post questions, does it? :*) ;)
No one is a complete expert at anything. We can always ask questions and learn. I feel I am pretty well read in some areas and I do have a high post count, but if you were to ask me a question on say... gobies, I would run and hide :blink:

Driftwood will lower you're pH :)

:lol: Thanks...

So I guess you're not the one to ask to ID my new mystery gobies. :thumbs: :D

If you want to lower your pH, use sulphuric acid for that.

nah..dont use sulfuric acid and pH down..I actually used pH down once and I realized that it just adds phosphates to my water... Adding sulfuric acid will just add sulfates to the water... These chemicals/ions will create problems such as algae...You dont want unnecessary stuff on your water right? so just leave it alone or use bogwood as someone had suggested. You can also hook up CO2..

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back