Low PH in new tank (no fish yet)

faircm22

Reaction score
Hello all, hoping someone can help. Any idea why my new 10 gallon tank with no fish in it yet, would be bringing the tap water (7.6 or so) down to a PH of 6.0? I added some filter media from my established 55 gallon tank that runs at a steady 7.2 PH or so, but aside from that everything else is all new. Does this happen during the initial cycle? Any help would be much appreciated.

The pH is very closely connected to the GH and KH, and these three usually remain consistent unless one is specifically targeting one or more of the three. But other factors also affect pH, such as dissolved CO2 in the tap water (this dissipates out within 24 hours or less), and some water authorities may also add various substances (not thinking of chlorine or chloramine here) to raise the pH.

The first thing is to ascertain the GH, KH and pH of the source tap water, on its own, or from the website of the water authority. Also see if they add anything; this is public information. Once we know this, it will be easier to answer your question.

Another possible factor is the substrate, what material is it? Does it (according to the manufacturer) have any impact on GH/KH/pH?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back