Hello, I think I have the beginnings of blue green algae showing up in my 15 gallon tank. The tank is only about 4 months old. The blue green algae has been around for almost two months but hasn't spread very much at all thanks goodness. I did have some on a couple of leaves from my plants, but I just snipped them. Did a 40-50% water change, and all my parameteres have been great for 3 months, except for my nitrates which I think are too low, less than 5 ppm.
I read that circulation may cause this cynobacteria so I put in another filter, so now I have an Aquaclear 30 and Eheim Aquaball internal filter giving me roughly 15x turnover. The stuff is still aroound a bit, but grows slow. I'm pretty sure that low nitrates is the cause, I do regular large water changes and clean gravel really well.
I don't add ferts or CO2
I only have a single t8 15w bulb, which I have on for 8 hours. I reduced this to six today.
I don't think I need a 3-day blackout, do I? I'd like to try other options but don't know of any. How do I add some nitrates, does this come in Tropical Plant Nutrition plus? Should I add some flourish as well?
I read that circulation may cause this cynobacteria so I put in another filter, so now I have an Aquaclear 30 and Eheim Aquaball internal filter giving me roughly 15x turnover. The stuff is still aroound a bit, but grows slow. I'm pretty sure that low nitrates is the cause, I do regular large water changes and clean gravel really well.
I don't add ferts or CO2
I only have a single t8 15w bulb, which I have on for 8 hours. I reduced this to six today.
I don't think I need a 3-day blackout, do I? I'd like to try other options but don't know of any. How do I add some nitrates, does this come in Tropical Plant Nutrition plus? Should I add some flourish as well?







