Losing Scales

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Kitty_Cosmo2012

Reaction score
Alright, going to try this site for help. I've posted in 3 others and have had no response :confused:

My betta, Joel, is a dragonscale and has a cloudiness to his eyes. Pretty sure he's going blind because of the whole extra pigment/scale overgrowth. If anyone thinks its different and a sign of something else, please share.

The bigger issue is that for the past week he's been losing scales. A few more are gone every day. Its mostly on his face, but there are some missing from his body. There's nothing I can see on his scales and I haven't noticed him rubbing on anything. I've tried googling it but all the results have other symptoms going on too and this is literally the only one (besides his eyes). So, I'm confused and just want my little guy to feel ok.

Joel 3.jpg

Joel 4.jpg

Joels's tank.jpg

Tank Info:
Gallons: 5.5
Heat: 77.5-78
Filter: Top Fin silent stream, no cartridge, put fluval sponge, carbon, and ceramic cylinders in, out put is 10 gallon, on half flow strength
pH: 6.8
Hardness: about 10
Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate: all 0 or low enough that its not showing up on the tests
Test: API liquid
Food: main- Aqueon Betta Pellets, Omega One Betta Flakes other- freeze dried bloodworms and mysis shrimp as treats
Tank Mates: just a little snail
Tank Age: set up 5 months ago as a shrimp tank, didn't work out so I kept the filter media and cleaned the rest 2 months ago and got Joel here
Fish Age: no idea, but he was the biggest non-king betta the store had, so fully grown for sure

I also did check with nylon to makes sure his decor is safe. All good there. Last water change was 4 days ago, I did 2 last week, 1.5 gallons then 1 gallon. I'm dosing him with Stress Coat for the aloe vera for his exposed skin and for the soothing effect if he's feeling uncomfortable. I also have KanaPlex since I don't know what's going on and it treats fungus and bacteria.

If I'm missing anything, just ask and I'll give the info/find out the info. I think that's the all the basic stuff. Thanks in advance to anyone responds, if anyone responds.

if the fish is eating and pooping normally, and the water quality is good, don't wprry about it. fish sometimes lose scales, it's not a big issue as long as the area doesn't become red and inflamed or white.

Re the blindness, this is quite common in dragonscales. The thick scaling grows over their eyes. They can live a long life, you just need to make sure you don't alter the tank as it progresses. I had one where the scaling completely covered one eye, and the other had only a small area not covered.

This is mine, just to show you what can happen.
Dragonscale eyes.jpg

Re the blindness, this is quite common in dragonscales. The thick scaling grows over their eyes. They can live a long life, you just need to make sure you don't alter the tank as it progresses. I had one where the scaling completely covered one eye, and the other had only a small area not covered.

This is mine, just to show you what can happen.
View attachment 119498

Iā€™m not worried about him going blind. I knew that when I bought him. He has a feeding ring and I tap the rim of the tank 4 times so heā€™ll have a signal that itā€™s time to eat.

I do have a question about it though. Can it start from the middle/anywhere or is it from the edge of the eye inwards? I canā€™t find anything about it but Iā€™m assuming it can be anywhere and itā€™s the pigment over running they eye at some places.

Most reactions

Back