Looks Like I Am In Trouble Later

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

fishprotector

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
We are currently living with my mum and dad again and my partner just phoned me to say that my dad found a meal worm on the floor (alive) in front of the tank. It must have crawled back out when I put them in on Sunday as did not see it before. Apparently, he has put it in a plastic bag on the kitchen top with a note moaning about it.

Can not wait to move out again ... Not looking forwards to finishing work later though.

Oh the joys of moving back home!
I had to move back home last year and I get moaning from dad about the electric and water bills and mum grossing out every time she sees live or frozen bait in the fridge/freezer!

Mate... my parents kicked me out when I was 18... 5 years of not speaking to them and living in house shares and with my now (nasty) ex and then my cousins, when i ran into trouble the gits called my parents <.< Who gave me the choice of moving back home for them to keep an eye on me or being sectioned. Niiiiice :X

Needless to say I moved back home a year ago and am still sleeping on a pull out bed in my dads office... Though have changed my life, i am coping, off meds, out of therapy and have a goal (all thanks to not having to worry myself sick about rent! and leccy bills!!)

However... more relevant... I have a chameleon! Weirdly.. my parents didnt object to him but did all fish and furries (though to be fair i said id rather be in hospital than be seperated from my chameleon by choice :p) and my locusts kept getting out!! Only now and then... parents grumbled about locusts in paper bags in carrier bags in a box *sigh* but took us ages to work out lid of vivarium was warping and left a gap.

Parents finding locusts = may as well have got a proper beating for the verbal barage i got!

Replaced lid and mental note, locusts and crickets do and will climb glass!! Mealies too! Only feed one at a time until you see them eat or get the dried ones (sold for wild birds, its cheaper :p )

Ahh that kind of puts my situation into perspective :blink:

Glad you life is starting to get back on track though :good:

The meal worms seem to drown quite quick if they are not eaten, thats why I was so suprised to hear of it. Guess my Sev needs to eat faster next time (but I will try your idea of less at once, thanks)

Seriously... parents are evil!! whether yours or outher halves!! :lol:

It was the kick in the butt I needed tbh! Doesnt fix everything but i just cant deal with being nagged!!

Mealworms can swim to an extent and their claws are sharp enough to catch on glass, let alone silicone ;) they can very VERY easily climb!

Bewary of escapee mealies, they have good jaws on them :p get waxworms or calci worms or silk worms or better still... silkworm pupae dried is cheaper!

Thanks for the heads up, didnt realise they were that evil, the little buggers :blink:

Where do you get those other worms from? I normally look in the lizard isles in the pet shops, but only seen mealworms, crickets and locusts. Did think about trying crickets for my JD but didnt think it would be appreciated in this house :lol:

Waxworms are generally sold with the crix. They are the ones it little round black pots with generally a yellow lid but sometimes red or green lids. No shops mind... open up black pot... if the grubs are brown or moths... dont buy, they ought to be fat white grubs (that pupate into moths whih are still edible for fish). Tubs look smaller but generally hold 40 odd grubs so are better value if all you are doing is bulking up fish!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back