Looking To Brighten Up My Tank A Bit. What's The Best Way?

Tu13es

New Member
Joined
Jan 14, 2009
Messages
52
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Currently, I have a 29gal tank with a single fluorescent fixture/bulb and relatively crappy plastic canopy. I do have plants, and while most of them are fine with low-ish light, I'd like to brighten up the tank a bit. I feel like the tanks in stores are so much more vibrant than mine. I originally had an Aqua-Glo bulb but switched it with another bulb and it wasn't much brighter feeling.

i was thinking of buying one of these canopies: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...mp;pcatid=13818

and one of these lamps: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...mp;pcatid=13818

Does that sound like a reasonable way to get some brightness into the tank? Should I be looking into a different type of light fixture or something? Any other suggestions?

Also, can/should I look into some sort of dim LED-type lighting for at night? Or no since my tank is freshwater?

Thanks!
 
I couldnt get the links to work either. You can get light reflectors that fit round the bulb and reflect light into the tank. i have cheated with one of my tanks and bought some silver sticky paper and fitted that inside the lid, it really made a difference.
 
Get a new light with more watts. I upgraded both my lights and it made my tanks much brighter. I did it for my plants. Look for a better light you will be happy you did.
 
I grabbed an All-Glass canopy today at a LFS while I was out (cheaper than online!) and it helped a good bit. And, I have a spare lamp that I can put on the part that opens, while it's closed, for even more light! Nice!
 
look to spend a little more than the standard hood and lights. the amount of light depends on the power of the light. look to pay 100 to 200 USD for a good lighting system. i paid 99 dollars for a T5 HO and it does my plants good. also remember the more wats you have per gallon will coinside with how much ferts you use and if you use Co2
 
Maybe the light is fine but you need a better reflector? Also live plants are probably one of the best ways to brighten a tank, many fish contrast greatly against green.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top