Looking For Sand Sifting Fish Under 4 Inches (10cm)

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Riuqlav

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Currently I have in my planted 50g

9 bronze corydoras.
3 marbled crayfish
15 ramshorn snails
15 tiger barbs
(Plan to have a pair for Electric blue Acaras)

From those the only ones I see are the snails and barbs, so I want to re-home the corys...

I'm looking for a fish that move the sand around sifting like an Eartheather:
that could be a substitute for the corys on the cleaning.
that is not shy hiding the whole day like the corys.
that stays around 10cm (4'').

Thank you in advance!

A good candidate for this would be either biotodoma cupido or wavarinii. This is a beautiful ( smaller) eartheater species that is not at all shy. They are gregarious and will quickly form a hierarchy in aquarium, so it is best to have at least a group of 5. Mine range from as small as 2.5 inches -3.75 inches.

A good candidate for this would be either biotodoma cupido or wavarinii. This is a beautiful ( smaller) eartheater species that is not at all shy. They are gregarious and will quickly form a hierarchy in aquarium, so it is best to have at least a group of 5. Mine range from as small as 2.5 inches -3.75 inches.
I think these may be a bit ambitious in a 50G, especially if you are still planning the Acara (which are definitely not suitable for a 50G). I don't have personal experience of these but digging cichlids can lead to unplanted tanks.

The OP will need to make adjustments to bottom dwellers, yes.
The biotodoma cupido's would be fine as only residents of bottom of tank. It is very doable in tank this size.
I agree, I would not do Acara's in this size tank. But, that is a different issue than the suitability of the cupido's. That could also have been discussed when OP responded. No worries.

I have earth-eaters in a planted tank: 8 geophagus, 11 cupido/wavarinni. The planted tank is very possible with digging cichlids.

2onhwJn.jpg

Ive changed my plantings up in many ways with my eartheaters:

vsG88o4.jpg

Most reactions

Back