Looking for filter recommendations

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Herpin Man

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have a challenging situation, and am looking for filter recommendations.
I keep snapping turtles, and have not been able to find an adequate filtration system for them. The first problem is that snapping turtles are extremely messy- large waste particles (furballs), uneaten food, and peeling skin will clog most types of filtration systems, often within a matter of hours. I can't be cleaning filters every day. I have had some success with coarse reticulated foam attached to a power head; it doesn't seem to clog easily. Unfortunately (and this is the next big problem) snapping turtles are very destructive, and try to eat the foam.
My next step was to create a housing that contained the foam and power head, using small sterilite latch boxes. Unfortunately, one of the turtles figured out how to open the latches and destroy the foam, so now they are screwed shut.
This system works somewhat, but I still need to clean the filters regularly, and the latch boxes are cumbersome, messy, and time consuming to clean. That, and the turtles are always tipping them over, removing the outflow tube, etc.
The turtles are kept in stock tanks. I am looking for a high flow, durable, non-clogging solution, either as a submersible or a canister system. I have tried asking for advice at online dealers, and their suggestions have been inadequate.
On a side note, does anybody have a good source for non-toxic reticulated foam?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back