Looking For An Oddball

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

bshockstubb

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I sick and tired of all my livebearers and my runt HRP fry.

I only get a 25 cents a peice for the largest livebearers at my LFS and they would pay like 1 cent for the runts.
well i need a predator.

I live in the boonies of arizona and my LFS has nothing! Although they can specail order for me(cuz im a regular :p)

Ive been searching for an Asian Arowanna, but yet to find any. I have however seen silver and black at my LFS.
I would like to get a Polypterus ornatipinnis or Polypterus senegalus. i was wondering. If I get two senegalus bichirs....could they go into the same tank together?

and my LFS has some crazy looking fish in the very back, where people sort of dump off fish that ahve gotten too big(theres a 16" tinfoil barb and a marbled goby back there) and then i saw in a little corner. a wee Lima Shovel-nosed Cat. it was only 4" long. I would LOVE to have one! he was in a tank with 2 gars :crazy:

any ideas on an oddball for me?

whats size tank do you have in mind?

the silver arowana is really out of the question, the black will require a 6x2x2 minimum same goes for the asian but be prepared to pay big bucks for 1

the Polypterus ornatipinnis and Polypterus senegalus will require tanks in the region of 100g atleast with a good foot print but could get away with less for the senegal.

If I get two senegalus bichirs....could they go into the same tank together?

Yes, this will boost minimum tank size though.

the lima shovelnose would be fine with the above fish aslong as they weren't smaller than him.

Well you can quit searching for an asian arrow tey are illegal to keep in the states-Anne

I must respectfully disagree with the statement that "Polypterus ornatipinnis and Polypterus senegalus will require tanks in the region of 100g atleast with a good foot print but could get away with less for the senegal."

While Polypterus ornatipinnis can reach 24 inches or more in length, Polypterus senegalus will reach only about half that length. I have kept dozens of P. senegalus over the years and have never seen one get much beyond 12 inches even after over a decade in my care. That being said, a 55 gallon tank will easily be adequate for even a couple of fully-grown Polypterus senegalus. For younger specimens a smaller tank will suffice as temporary quarters as they grow - though I'd recommend nothing smaller than a 20 gallon LONG tank. Actually....an optimal tank for most of the smaller Polypterus species (like P. senegalus, P. retropinnis and the P. palmas subspecies) is a 40 or 50 gallon 'Breeder' tank which is wider and lower than the standard configuration. Surface area on the bottom is more important than depth for these fascinating fish.

-Joe

Other good oddballs to keep an eye out for are
African brown knives-55g
Ctenopoma species (technicallly anabantoides)-Tank size depends on species
Mogurnda gudgeon species-30g
Candy striped gobies-15g
Desert gobies-15g
Peacock gudgeons-5g
Peacock eels-30g long (3 foot)
dwarf puffers-10g
African butterfly fish-15g
And a lot more :)

Don't forget to ask about/research any fish that interests you ;)

I sick and tired of all my livebearers and my runt HRP fry.

I only get a 25 cents a peice for the largest livebearers at my LFS and they would pay like 1 cent for the runts.
well i need a predator.

Most fish will eat fry, given the chance. Decrease hiding places for the fry, any fsih that come across a fry small enough to eat will eat it.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back