Looking For A Dog....

Dreamer03

Fishaholic
Reaction score
So my mom and sis finally came to an agreement for a pet for my sister. So they decided on a dog. Now we need help choosing a dog. It has to be a small dog, kind of easy to train, gets along with ither animals (rabbits, turtles, birds, and squirrle) and less likely to give allergies. I know its a lot but any ideas?

I love pomeranians! My girl doesn't shed a lot, if she does they come out in like a chunk rather then little hairs everywhere, she never bothers the other pets, like birds rabbits and small animals like that (but its more down to the individual dogs personality). She's the perfect size and they seem to really bond with one person (whoever takes care of them). But they are stubborn and full of personality but they are VERY cute!! :)

No dog is completely hypo allergenic but poodles, bichon frise, cockapoos are less likely to irritate an allergy.
These breeds need regular grooming or their coats can get into a knotted mess so factor in at least £30-40 every six weeks to have their coats clipped.
Owning a dog is not cheap so think very carefully before getting one, it's not just feeding it, you'll have vet bills from time to time so insurance is a must.

I have 2 cockapoos, and they do not affect my allergies or asthma, do not shed, are fab with children and super friendly :) I am also a Founder member of The Cockapoo Club of GB, although I believe there is an American equivalant also :)

i love all dogs!!!!! Just my mom and my sister are kinda polar opposites when it comes to dogs. My sister originally wanted a cat or a pig but my mom said no to both. I will show her the ideas. See if they like any. Well I am not sure why...but I will be th eone covering the costs of the dog....i pa for all my other pets but this dog is not suppsoe ot be my pet x_x (which i will gradly take fi my sis decided she doesnt wan a dog anymore)

The miniature schnauzer may be an excellent breed. Smart, determined, silly, the schnauzer is a great animal for active people. This dog requires daily brushing to keep hair in order, but it does not shed. The schnauzer is a digger, but his high intelligence means he will figure out where to dig, if you give him that place. The schnauzer is also a very social animal. He enjoys groups of people and is typically very social among other dogs. He is a playful dog who seems to get on well with other species of pets, but, as this is a ratter, he may give chase to animals such as rats and mice. Fairly easy to train, sturdy, easy grooming (seriously, just brush his coat well each day, takes about fifteen minutes, plus a trip to the groomer every few months for a puppy cut and you've got not much of a hair issue). These dogs don't shed either. In fact, they, like yorkshire terriers and poodles, do not have fur. Their fur is more similar to hair than anything else. Miniature schnauzers really are awesome. They are excellent family dogs, but they have a ton of personality. 

Personally, I would go for a Shih Tzu or Lhasa Apso, both are great, good looking dogs, with my favourite out of the two being the Lhasa Apso.
They have such big personalities and are so cute! I don't find they shed too much either.

Let us know what you choose :)

Blondielovesfish said:
Personally, I would go for a Shih Tzu or Lhasa Apso, both are great, good looking dogs, with my favourite out of the two being the Lhasa Apso.
They have such big personalities and are so cute! I don't find they shed too much either.

Let us know what you choose
smile.png
Having groomed both of those breeds, they are a pain to maintain. I also find that they lack intelligence compared to breeds like bull dogs and retrievers and schnauzers. These dogs are actually also more likely to bite. The Shih Tzu was actually used as a guard dog for emperors for many years. Some of that willingness to guard humans from humans has filtered down to the breed today. This does not mean that they are aggressive. It just means that if you've got one of these dogs and he's a bad attitude, he's more likely to act on that attitude. 

Lhasa Apsos are a breed I'll admit I'm not as familiar with but I think they're alright dogs. You do have to be very careful to groom this dog and the Shih Tzu. You have to be extremely attentive about the fur between the toes. Their fur mats here so easily. It's ridiculous really.

Long haired chihuahua are great for all your looking for, we have 2 and they are really friendly, dont shed, my gf has asthma and it doesnt affect her, downside is they can average at £600, some even £900

Schnauzers are very intelligent and easily bored. They like to be challenged and learn new things. So you need to invest a lot of time keeping them occupied. The one in my profile picture is a Schnauzer-Poodle mix, she is smart and stubborn and very cuddly!!!

Poodles are an awesome family pet too, they don't need to be made to look like little frou-frou dogs, and they are very smart. 

Cocker Spaniels are lovely, we have a Cocker-Spaniel-Poodle mix. She is friendly and calm, she loves to play and she will give the cutest howling bark if there is something like a squirrel or raccoon in the back yard! She loves kids and teenage boys, lol!

Poodles, and poodle mixes are hypo-allergenic, since they don't shed as much. To be truly a good match for people with allergies you would have to get tests done on both you and the dog. It is the protein in the dog's saliva and the dead skin cells that are being shed, that a person with allergies reacts to. So, even if you get a hypo-allergenic dog, your family members may still react allergic to it!

It is very important to be choosy where you will get the dog from, some people will breed any dogs together without taking into consideration if there is a history of genetic eye, joint, or temper issues.
It is also very important to familiarize a new puppy before their first grooming session with all these things that he/she will get in contact with during the grooming. The sound and feel of hair dryers, electric trimmers, scissors, nail cutters. 
Learn about positive re-inforcement, Calming Signals, Crate training (keeps your dog safe while you're not there as well as keeps the dogs from destroying your things), Puppy Training, obedience classes (great to get your dog used to be around other dogs and socialize).... 

If you adopt from a shelter or a rescue, the dog will have been health checked and you will know what you get into in terms of behaviour and health issues and foreseeable medical costs, and you will be rescuing a dog at the same time. (Both my dogs are rescues :)  )

Can't wait to see what your family decides on! :)

Sorry guys!!! At end my sister ended up buying a fish...which I thin its a miracle its alive. We did see some dogs but as soon as my sister and my mom got near they, instant asthma attack. Even dogs that are consider hypolargenic? Hope I wrote that right. So the getting a dog idea didn't work : (

A betta but I had to buy a tank and all stuff because she put the betta in a container that was less than 1 gallon.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back