'longfin Bichir' Need Id

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Finally got the little guy to eat something tonight. Frozen bloodworms didn't go over too well. Typical picky eater; many plump bloodworms land at/on/around the head to be met with complete apathy. However, surprise surprise, live worms were a pretty big hit. The saddled's bottomless bichir stomach claimed 3 red wigglers in one sitting. My senegal, who is about an inch or so longer than the saddled, struggles to fit even two in her belly :crazy:

Finally got the little guy to eat something tonight. Frozen bloodworms didn't go over too well. Typical picky eater; many plump bloodworms land at/on/around the head to be met with complete apathy. However, surprise surprise, live worms were a pretty big hit. The saddled's bottomless bichir stomach claimed 3 red wigglers in one sitting. My senegal, who is about an inch or so longer than the saddled, struggles to fit even two in her belly :crazy:
Once it settles in more, it will become less fussy. :)

try feeding just after you turn out the lights many bichirs especially when young prefer to eat under the cover of darkness-Anne

try feeding just after you turn out the lights many bichirs especially when young prefer to eat under the cover of darkness-Anne

I have a mostly all nocturnal tank so feeding is done after lights have been out for 1-2 hours :good:

Another question, when both reach adult sizes, do you think this and a Black Ghost Knifefish are compatible? Sadly my BGK is equally as young as this saddled (maybe it would work out in their favor growing up together?), so I have no idea what size the BGK is going to max out at, hopefully at least 16-18 inches if they are going to coexist it seems. I know BGK can be mixed with most all bichirs, but would the huge size of the saddled bichir make it an exception to that?

And you were right about these things having huge mouths! I finally saw it yawn the other day, reminded me of a whale shark.

On a side note, does anybody know why fish yawn? Are they stretching jaw muscles or is it part of respiration? Just curious.

2 Weeks and all is well. Has been feeding regularly now for over a week. Still won't touch frozen bloodworms, but I'm sure red wigglers are more nutritious anyways. Thanks for all the help getting started!

Yummy!
ZlandFeed2R.jpg

Most reactions

Back