Long white string from Gourami

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

bhelton14

Reaction score
Hey guys! Anyone know what this white stringy thing is hanging from my gourami is? She was doing great and then last night she started pooping and it had these intermittent white stringy spots and then today there was that super long white string.
She has always been a very hungry fish, eating anything she can get to. The only thing I did differently was feed the frozen brine shrimp cubes for the first time and she loved it. But now she’s not eating.
Tank is (finally) cycled
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrates nearly 0

Attachments

• 328445F9-4035-4039-8518-2796748027A5.jpeg
    328445F9-4035-4039-8518-2796748027A5.jpeg
    288 KB · Views: 141
How long ago did you feed them brineshrimp?
If it was frozen and hadn't been defrosted and refrozen before you bought it, then it should have been fine to use. If it had been defrosted and left out for a few hours, then refrozen, it might have gone off.

Stringy white poop is caused by an intestinal problem like worms, internal protozoa or an internal bacterial infection. If it happened overnight and the fish has stopped eating, then it is an internal bacterial infection and the fish will probably be dead within 24 hours. There's no cure for internal bacterial infections once the fish does the stringy white poop and stops eating because major organ damage has usually occurred. Generally if the fish stops eating and does a stringy white poop, you euthanise the fish.

You can also do a 75% water change and gravel clean every day for a week to reduce the chance of other fish getting sick.

The following link has more information about stringy white poop in fish.

How long ago did you feed them brineshrimp?
If it was frozen and hadn't been defrosted and refrozen before you bought it, then it should have been fine to use. If it had been defrosted and left out for a few hours, then refrozen, it might have gone off.

Stringy white poop is caused by an intestinal problem like worms, internal protozoa or an internal bacterial infection. If it happened overnight and the fish has stopped eating, then it is an internal bacterial infection and the fish will probably be dead within 24 hours. There's no cure for internal bacterial infections once the fish does the stringy white poop and stops eating because major organ damage has usually occurred. Generally if the fish stops eating and does a stringy white poop, you euthanise the fish.

You can also do a 75% water change and gravel clean every day for a week to reduce the chance of other fish getting sick.

The following link has more information about stringy white poop in fish.
I fed them brine shrimp maybe 3 or 4 days ago. I bought it from my local pet store and it was frozen and I never let it thaw, going straight home and putting it in my freezer. The expiry date is in like 2025 so it should have been good. Also no other fish have shown symptoms.

She ate it up like crazy! And then the following day she ate flake food just fine and just yesterday she didn’t eat anything.

We actually pulled the white stringy stuff out of the tank and it never moved so I think I can safely say it’s not a worm.

Unfortunately she passed some time during the night, but is there any prevention to this from happening again/to other fish?

Unfortunately she passed some time during the night, but is there any prevention to this from happening again/to other fish?
There's not really any way to prevent internal bacterial infections. Feeding a varied diet using good quality food that hasn't expired or been defrosted helps but some fish pick up infections and then one day, stop eating, swell up, do the stringy white poop and die.

The brineshrimp is fine if other fish ate it and didn't have any problems. You just got a fish that didn't do to well. :(

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back