Long Fin Rosey Barbs Nipping At Each Other

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

alex818

Reaction score
Hi,

I just bought 2 Long Fin Rosey Barbs today approx 1.5 inch. I currently have them in my 20 gal quarantine tank and now they're constantly chasing each other around and nipping at each other. They were getting along just fine with the other barbs at the LFS. Do you think I need more than 2 so that they school together rather than go head to head? Please help.

Thanks!

I had exactly the same (and i mean EXACTLY) thing with my 2 convicts. At the beginning one of my convicts where sick, and I had to trade my female in for a male because of breeding no wanted. After, the fish I had not given was getting sick because of the water not being cycled (Let me get to the point). When the new convict was put in he started to nip at the sick one. the convict wanted to get rid of him (kill) because of the convict dying. I researched that and thats how I knew. Well, thats my experience. I'm not exactly sure what the rosy barbs are doing (I've never owned them) but just donating my experience. If one of the barbs looks slow and sickly you know what to do! But one more thing, Are they both chasing each other? or is one picking on one? (Maybe they could just be playing)

Rosy barbs are shoaling fish and need to be kept in groups rather than pairs, i would suggest getting at least another 3 to make up a shoal, they are not much different to tigerbarbs in their behaviour and need a group for security and so they can form a pecking order.

I wasn't sure if rosy barbs were shoaling fish (some barbs are, some aren't) but I'll asssume CFC's got it right, in which case you need a few more to reduce aggression. Either way, I'd definitely think getting a few more females would be a good idea.

Sorry they will need to be rosy barbs or all you will get is two small groups of different barbs trying to kill each other, most barbs species need to be kept in groups of 6 or more to feel comfortable and display their natural behaviour.

My rosy,Angle is happy living in a community tank with other fish (7 total), but as soon as a scecond rosy was added, the entire tank was at war. It got to the point that Mr. NewRosy had to go to the isolate tank. He now resides with a loach and is as happy as a peach. The main tank is back to normal also. you may want to concider seperating them if you do not want to aquire new fish.

I just got 2 rosy barbs yesterday..................My tiger barbs{6} are tormenting them. The LFS told me it was ok to put just 2 in the tank. What should I do? Return them or add more. I am afraid of overstocking my tank. I also got 4 gold barbs.they are really nice.
Everyone leaves them alone.
Deb

CFC said:
Sorry they will need to be rosy barbs or all you will get is two small groups of different barbs trying to kill each other, most barbs species need to be kept in groups of 6 or more to feel comfortable and display their natural behaviour.

I assume rosy barbs are like any other memebr of the Barbs family? In term of behaviour? Yes they need company of at least 6, I agree there :nod: . But I'm not sure if they have to be to be the same type :/ . I have just three of three types of barb and they get on perfectly. Bit of variety, but all get on.

It is a bit wierd tho, they all chase their own kind, but chase round the tank together. Most bizarre. 8)

Most reactions

Back