Loach ID

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

SirMinion

Sexy Martha Fahaka
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
A local fish shop that we're friendly with has just got a new batch of kuhlis in and found something in with them that is most definately NOT a kuhli.
They don't have a clue waht it is, although it's clearly a loach of some sort so as they know that oddballs are my 'thing' they asked me to try to identify it.

Now I've already managed to identify it after two hours poring over books and website but I though I'd set a change to all you loach-heads on TFF!

This is an ultra-rare import, usually only imported by accident in batches of wild-caught kuhlis.

It's about the size of a kuhli, but dark brown to black. It has a single bright orange stripe that runs the length of it's body along the spine.
The tail is very forked and the dorsal fin runs along the spine like an eel's

Can anyone name it?

Photo to follow if the description isn't enough!

Sounds like a classic description of Vaillantella maassi.

I've got a couple of these loaches in my Asian tank. One thing to be aware of is that they are EXTREMELY secretive. I can go for months without seeing them and only occasionally catch a glimpse of one when it is out for a little midnight snack.

Here's a picture of one I took just before I introduced it to my aquarium:

Vmaassi1sm.jpg

-Joe

wow stunning fish ! seems you're very fortunate to have some of those, fruitbat.

SirMinion said:
This is an ultra-rare import, usually only imported by accident in batches of wild-caught kuhlis.
[snapback]922190[/snapback]​

Hmm, methinks I'll start studying khuli tanks a bit more :shifty:

The last time these were deliberately imported they were selling for £40 each from Tom Halverston

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back