Live Rock?

fatheadminnow

Fish Aficionado
Joined
Jan 14, 2009
Messages
4,815
Reaction score
14
Points
38
Location
US
If I were to get "live" rock, what would I have to do to make it safe for my aquarium?

Would boiling it be the only thing I would have to do with it?

Also, will "live" rock raise the pH, or is that only with certain types of rock?

When I add the wood I got for my tank, the pH is going to drop, so I want to find a way to raise the pH without going out and spending a lot of money on rocks...But I will if that is the case.

Thanks guys!
-FHM

Sorry for the double thread...stupid computer...lol.

Hopefully one will be deleted?
 
What do you mean when you say " live rock? From my limited knowledge about marine aquaria I think live rock is only meant for salt water tanks, and can be very pricey ( well where I'm from ). I have added crushed coral to one of my african tanks in the past to bring up the pH.
 
Sorry I did not make myself more clear.

It is a freshwater tank(note the bogwood that I am going to be putting in the tank), and the "live" rock is rock I can get outside, (not at my LFS).

-FHM
 
Yeah thats why I was wondering because I knew you had a freshwater setup , but was confused on the live rock part. I wasn't sure if you knew about the live rock stuff. But anyway, I have always used rock from outside, stuff i have gotten at the beach and in river beds, but those did not affect my pH. But that could be just the types of rock I got. Im not sure on what certain rocks do to the pH and hardness of the water. I think the best thing is to see how the wood affects your pH first. Also you could put the rocks in a bucket and test the water before and after just ot be sure.
 
well rock you get from outside isn't live rock. Just boil rock from outside to make it safe. I wouldn't start messing with the pH to begin with. What kind of fish do you have that you're trying to adjust it?
 
well rock you get from outside isn't live rock. Just boil rock from outside to make it safe.
Okay thanks.

I know its not live rock, I just referred to it as "live" rock (note the quotation marks), to imply that it was store bought.

Thanks again, that is what I thought...boil it.
Thanks
-FHM
 
well rock you get from outside isn't live rock. Just boil rock from outside to make it safe. I wouldn't start messing with the pH to begin with. What kind of fish do you have that you're trying to adjust it?

The fish I have are in my sig. The only reason I know the pH is going to change is because of the Bogwood that I will be putting in the tank.

My Cichlids, especially my Metriaclima Estherae Cichlid, need a pH of 7.8-8.0, and knowing the pH is going to drop (amount to be determined) after the wood is added, I want to find away to raise it back up to normal. I know certain rocks that you can buy from a FS will raise the pH, but I was just wondering if all rocks raise pH.

Thanks again guys!
-FHM
 
You could try putting the bog wood in a bucket first, just to get an idea on the amount the pH will change. I have used crushed coral to up the pH in my african tanks before.
 
You could try putting the bog wood in a bucket first, just to get an idea on the amount the pH will change. I have used crushed coral to up the pH in my african tanks before.
Okay, I will check the pH in a bucket, as it has been soaking in a bucket for almost a week now.

Thanks again for the reply!
-FHM
 
No, not all rocks raise the pH. I believe rocks containing limestone do however. I agree with checking the pH in a bucket first because when i added my wood there wasn't any readable difference
 
If there is no tannins leeching out of the wood, then the pH will not change. As for rocks changing the pH, test it by dropping some vinegar on it. If it fizzes then it has limestone in it.
 
If there is no tannins leeching out of the wood, then the pH will not change. As for rocks changing the pH, test it by dropping some vinegar on it. If it fizzes then it has limestone in it.
There are tons of tannins leaking out....I will check the pH and see how much it has dropped in the bucket before added it to the tank.

Thanks for the reply.
-FHM
 
or you could just leach it for about 2 weeks in a bucket and that should take care of most of it. Tannins are actually good for the water and fish
 
or you could just leach it for about 2 weeks in a bucket and that should take care of most of it. Tannins are actually good for the water and fish
Yeah I know that the fish won't mind the tannins, especially my cichlids. Where in Africa that is what the water is like.

I just dont want gold colored water in my tank.

-FHN
 

Most reactions

Back
Top