Live Rock In The Uk

Hi
Sorry to hear you got some not so good rock. Ive had 3 different 5kg batches from the same place and the quality of it all has been excellent :) Ive had tonnes of hitchikers some very strange indeed. The service has also been great, being able to specify a day for deilvery and being confident that i will arrive that day was a real bonus!
As for coraline, most rock when it arrives if its been out of the water for anytime at all, the colour will be dulled. I noticed that after about 7 - 10 days colours started to pop and there seemed to be twice the amount that I originally thought there was, also lots of other stuff started to appear within about a week feather dusters clams, button polyps etc. Even now 3 months after I got my original rock new stuff appears from time to time :)
The live rock rubble is just what it says it is, RUBBLE..lol its the bits that get broken off in transit. As for life living on it, its not about big stuff, its about the bacteria and surface area for them to live in that will increase the amount of filtration to the the tank. I also bought 1kg with the first batch of my rock and used it in my filter system. Ive never had any real cycle go on in my tanks with the live rock/rubble, even when I swapped tanks into a larger one after 6 weeks, no ammonia what so ever, so I'm putting this down to cycled rock and rubble. Give the rock time and i'm sure stuff will appear :) Some people dont seem to get anything in the way of hitchikers, and others like myself seem to get every type of critter under the sun :)

The LR I got came from somewhere else but I think they actually get it initally from live rock UK. I was a bit disapointed too as I got two large chunks of pretty dead looking rock. This was compounded by the fact that I went to my LFS and got a really nice, coraline covered peice with lots of things on it.

After 1 week though I have seen a lot of stuff starting to grow on the rock and it is starting to turn very purple. The only reason I didnt get my rock from them was that they dont do weekend delivery's and at the moment there is no way I can get time off during the week.

Hi
Sorry to hear you got some not so good rock. Ive had 3 different 5kg batches from the same place and the quality of it all has been excellent :) Ive had tonnes of hitchikers some very strange indeed. The service has also been great, being able to specify a day for deilvery and being confident that i will arrive that day was a real bonus!
As for coraline, most rock when it arrives if its been out of the water for anytime at all, the colour will be dulled. I noticed that after about 7 - 10 days colours started to pop and there seemed to be twice the amount that I originally thought there was, also lots of other stuff started to appear within about a week feather dusters clams, button polyps etc. Even now 3 months after I got my original rock new stuff appears from time to time :)
The live rock rubble is just what it says it is, RUBBLE..lol its the bits that get broken off in transit. As for life living on it, its not about big stuff, its about the bacteria and surface area for them to live in that will increase the amount of filtration to the the tank. I also bought 1kg with the first batch of my rock and used it in my filter system. Ive never had any real cycle go on in my tanks with the live rock/rubble, even when I swapped tanks into a larger one after 6 weeks, no ammonia what so ever, so I'm putting this down to cycled rock and rubble. Give the rock time and i'm sure stuff will appear :) Some people dont seem to get anything in the way of hitchikers, and others like myself seem to get every type of critter under the sun :)

Well im glad to hear at least somebody has got their moneys worth! :p As i have already mentioned, i am not puting them down coz im sure many others will have got some fantastic pieces of rock along with some amazing hitchhikers, my comments only reflect my own experience with them. :(

The rock has been in the tank over a week not but I still am not impressed with it, bt hopefully all that will change when the rock starts to mature! I will update this post in a few weeks and let everyone know if anything interesting has popped yup or not! -_-

The whole purpose of what I wrote wernt to put anybody down, but was more to advice people that IMO it is much better to get live rock that you are able to hand pick yourself, that way u know exactly what you are getting for your money, rather than leave it in somebody else's hands to choose for you! ;)

Hi,

I have to agree, the live rock I have had from the web has been ok (not brilliant) and cheap. At my local LFS the live rock I get is twice as expensive but they are really live, loads of life, hitchhickers etc, and I can pick each piece to suit my needs.

Cheers

Morph

I'm planning on getting my LR from Live Rock UK as I only live around the corner!! I emailed them and they said I can pop round and pick what rock I want. Saves paying delivery and I can have what pieces I want. Bit of a bonus!! :hey:

A bit late now as i have only just read this but one of the best and most respected marine shops in the midlands is wharf aquatics in derby definatly worth a visit seems how your in derby

I'm planning on getting my LR from Live Rock UK as I only live around the corner!! I emailed them and they said I can pop round and pick what rock I want. Saves paying delivery and I can have what pieces I want. Bit of a bonus!! :hey:

Its alright for some hey! ;)

A bit late now as i have only just read this but one of the best and most respected marine shops in the midlands is wharf aquatics in derby definatly worth a visit seems how your in derby

Well Wharf Aquatics aint in derby, its in pinxton, nottingham (about half hour drive away), but I did not know they did marine as Ive always known them to be an excellent source for freshwater. Thanks for the post though adambrum, il be paying them a visit ASAP! Cheerz :good:

Well Wharf Aquatics aint in derby, its in pinxton, nottingham (about half hour drive away), but I did not know they did marine as Ive always known them to be an excellent source for freshwater. Thanks for the post though adambrum, il be paying them a visit ASAP! Cheerz :good:

yup they have a great Marine setup

fot brilliant live rock online try STM

I visited Wharf Aquatics today and went into their marine section, Its definately good as they have got a vast varitey of both fish and inverts! Also the shop is kept very clean with all the tanks looking spotless and all fish in good health! Was very pleased as customer service was top notch and the lads very helpful! :)

Highly recommended to anyone in the East Midlands area of UK.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back