Live Plants

catfishlove

Reaction score
I would like to get advise about live plants. I have 4 corys, and I think they would enjoy having a live plant in their tank (10 gallons). I just wanted to see if there's any specific kind that is preferable, and if there are any key tips to taking care of them? It's really hard to get good (proper) advise at the fish store sometimes.
Thanks for your help:)

Hi there Catfishlove, I have about 12 varieties of plants in my tank. One of my albino corys loves to lay in a plant called Ludwigia repens, or common name is the green rampant ludwig. They also like the soft leaves of the Cabomba varieties. I love the corys, they have a totally different character to the other fish.

THAT'S THE SAME PLANT i saw in my lfs and I loved it and I got it...my cories also love it. :D I also got some Alternanthera Reinechii, I was wondering how tall these plants get? ;)

Info from Tropica:

Alternanthera reineckii ''roseafolia''
Family: Amaranthaceae
Continent: South America
Height: 25-50 cm
Width: 10-15 cm
Light requirements: medium-very high
Temperature: 17-28 °C
Hardness tolerance: soft-hard
pH tolerance: 5-8
Growth: medium
Demands: medium

The purple colour underneath Alternanthera reineckii ''roseafolia'' leaves provides an effective contrast to the many green plants in an aquarium - particularly when planted in groups. Good light encourages the leaves to turn red. Most Alternanthera species are difficult to grow, but this one is relatively undemanding. Easy to propagate by nipping off the terminal bud and planting it in the bottom. This also makes the mother plant more bushy, because more side shoots are formed.
Alternanthera reineckii ''lilacina''
Family: Amaranthaceae
Continent: South America
Height: 15-40 cm
Width: 10-15 cm
Light requirements: high-very high
Temperature: 17-28 °C
Hardness tolerance: soft-medium
pH tolerance: 5-7
Growth: slow
Demands: difficult

Alternanthera reineckii ''lilacina'' needs plenty of light to grow and form dark-red leaves. In open aquariums it grows willingly up through the surface, and like other difficult plants growth improves considerably if CO2 is added. Shortage of micronutrients results in pale leaves. Like other stem plants A. reineckii ''Lilacina'' is best in groups.

HTH, Eddie

Thanks for the site... *Click* "Add to favourites" *Click* ;)

Most reactions

Back