live plant - please help!

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

piscean

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
i walked into a fish store today for some fish food and was easily suckered into buying a live plant for my aquarium :blink: the friendly worker explained to me how it would benefit my tank in so many ways... so i picked out the smallest one he had in stock - a microsword. i get home and immediately stuff it into my tank. it looks awesome :wub: i love it already! but after minutes of being fixed upon it...

now what???

i realize i got no clue how to care for one. so i read up on the stuff and find out microswords have a difficulty rating in caring for them :X i'm also supposed to have substrate and fertilizer for it??? will my plant (having neither one) be harmed or harm my tank / fishies in any way??? i plan to get the stuff tomorrow and also plan to leave the microsword in my tank til then...

or shouldn't i???

would appreciate any advice... thx much!!!

I have seen Lilaeopsis brasiliensis sold as "Micro Sword", a very short growing plant. Not even in the same family as the real swords. If this is what you have, it is not an easy plant, it requires very good light and easily gets long thin weak and brittle in less then that.

Another possibility is Echinodorus tenellus which is a real sword, although usually sold as "Pygmy Sword". Although still requiring decent light to remain short, it is a much easier plant then Lilaeopsis species.

The key to success with aquarium plants is choice of plant. Some plants will grow easily in just about any conditions, others are almost impossible to grow because they require extreme conditions.

After that it is light. 2 Watts per gallon is usually quoted as "Medium" light in a regular shaped tank, (you'll need more in deeper tanks, a hex for example). What I invariably end up saying is get 2 Watts per gallon over your tank, then browse Tropicas plant list for species that match your water conditions, want Medium light and are flagged as "Easy" or "Very Easy". You will then not need to worry about CO2 and fertilizers. That way you tend to start out with a success, which will inspire you to go further.

Plants in an aquarium are the natural companions for fish, and a well planted tank is joy to behold. Good luck.

can u tell us the size of ur tank, what substrate u have in ur tank at present i.e gravel or sand, and what lighting u have

I have had a tought time with microsword. It's one of the few plants in my aquarium that just won't take. yestersay I pulled it out and tossed it as it was clear it wasn't gonna live much longer.

What size tank do you have? What wattage of lights? Give us some info and we can help you pick some EASY plants that will grow with very little care.

Hey Lateral Line I tried to click on tropicas but I didnt get anywhere. Can you post an address?? Thanks.

i've got lilaeopsis novea-zealandiae but i think it's the same thing as lilaeopsis brasiliensis.

my tank is a small 3gal with gravel and 6watt fluorescent lamp.

the microsword probably won't last in my tank but i'd still like try and keep it for as long as i can. what kind stuff do i need to raise it? but if you can suggest any EASY plants that would suit my tank... i'm open to suggestions! otherwise i'll most likely end up with my plastic one again. thx much for your help ^_^

>>>
Hey Lateral Line I tried to click on tropicas but I didnt get anywhere. Can you post an address?? Thanks.
<<<

The link works now, for some reason it had doubled up the "http://" don't know why...

>>>
i've got lilaeopsis novea-zealandiae but i think it's the same thing as lilaeopsis brasiliensis.
<<<

Lilaeopsis novea-zealandiae is different from L. brasiliensis as the names imply, one is from New Zealand, the other from Brazil. Both, however, have similar requirements, and both are difficult plants. Your tank is small thus I guess your light source is quite close to the plant, it may work. Pygmy Sword, Echinodorus tennelus is a much easier small plant. Browse Tropicas plant list and look for something that matches your water, though, you may find something you like the look of better. I posted the link a few posts up.

Most reactions

Back