Video Little goldfish tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

G

Guest14017

A young fancy goldfish. Sold as a fantail but is a young Oranda. Working on a tank he will enjoy and not destroy. Hopefully he does well. Been ages since I had indoor goldfish and I have always had way better luck with outdoor goldfish but I am really enjoying this little one. His name is Shion.

His old aquaclear filter BROKE yesterday so I ordered a new one. Will be here tomorrow.

I realize some people think his tank is too small. You have made yourself clear already. I think his tank is fine for now and this video is for anybody who actually WANTS to view him. I do very much love him and am trying to keep him happy.

Indoor kept fancies are HARD to care for but I am gonna try.

The fish is fine in that tank at this stage. It is a fantail (double tail) goldfish and they don't swim as fast or as much as single tail goldfish. The fish has room to move and turn without hitting things. As long as the water is kept clean and the fish fed a varied diet, let it be.

My only concern is the current in the water. It might be a bit strong for the fish but if there are quiet areas the fish can rest in, that is fine too. :)

I tried to sorta baffle the flow by putting some plants under it - but maybe I will add a pre-filter sponge that will help that even more. I do 90% changes weekly and nitrates are kept below 10 ppm. He gets plenty of different foods and can eat off the plants as well. I want him to be happy.

I've read 30 gallons for the first fish and 10 extra for each additional (on a fancy goldfish site, can't remember which). The theory is that 10gallons will MAYBE be enough water for each fish, and the extra 20 gallons means you have breathing room and ensures a minimum footprint. But that's for full grown, and it's hardly in a 1 gallon goldfish bowl on the kitchen counter. Plus its Mom appears to know what she's doing.

Cute fish... the challenge will be avoiding buying a 100gallon tank to have room for several more. Sorta don't approve of what breeders have done to fancy goldfish - but I have a soft spot for them.

I tried to sorta baffle the flow by putting some plants under it - but maybe I will add a pre-filter sponge that will help that even more. I do 90% changes weekly and nitrates are kept below 10 ppm. He gets plenty of different foods and can eat off the plants as well. I want him to be happy.
awesome tank!
you're about to hit 200 messages + reactions!!

Thanks everyone. I love this little dude to bits. I actually cannot tell the gender yet but males tend to be more hardy so I am hoping it is a male. I realize fancy goldfish are MUTANTS and I understand the ethical issues behind them - but boy do I love them.

If he starts to grow or just if I feel like he needs more space, I am definitely open to a larger tank for him. Petco has the 40 breeders on sale all the time. I can find a way to fit it where his current tank is.

I have never kept a LONE goldfish before but I firmly believe that with an interactive tank and clean water - he will be healthy and happy by himself.

He is so active! I never had any luck with goldfish, but little Shion is so cute.
I have had limited luck with them INDOORS. They do quite well OUTDOORS tho. He is very active tho even more than usual for a baby goldfish. I may end up getting him a new tank after all.

Looks fine.
If there's concern about current, you could find a piece of wood with a reasonably large vertical surface to put in there. This would create, if not a 'dead spot', then a quiet spot, current-wise.

NOTE any wood needs some prep before tank insertion, no matter what your lfs says. ;)

Most reactions

Back