List of easy plants

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Meg0000

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hi I started a list of easy plants (no co2 and low to medium light) to know what I should buy when I go to my LFS. It would be nice if we could add plants to this list or remove some based on your experience with it. I will edit this post to add plants or remove it from the list.. I am sure it could also help other people so here is the list:
-cryptocoryne
-vallisneria
-anubias
-Microsorum
-Echinodorus
-Java moss, spiky moss
-Limnophila sessiliflora
-Hottonia palustris
- Hygrophila
- staurogyne repens
-ludwigia repens
- rotala rotundifolia
-Hydroctyle leucocephala
-crinum
-marimo moss ball
-anacharis
-water sprite
-sagittaria sabulata
-bolbitis heudelotii
-Marsilea Hirsuta
-Ceratophyllum demersum
-floating plants
-bucephalandra
-Homalomena Sekadau South

Last edited:
I highly recommend anacharis and water sprite. I’m new to the planted aquarium scene, but thanks to some great advice from members on here, I bought two of each and they look great!

Sagittaria subulata, Marsilea hirsuta, Ceratophyllum demersum, floating plants, Bucephalandra, Homalomena Sekadau South, and Bolbitis are other easy plants that are not on the list.

Last edited:
Ive tried growing saggitaria sublata as an " easy" carpeting plant as well as sturogyne repens and they both died and i have medium light but what i didnt have that both those need is 30PAR at the substrate and a heavily fertlized substrate.
Carpeting plants like sag sublata need more than low light and i wouldnt put on easy imho.

-cryptocoryne - hard to grow long term. Don't tolerate root disturbances and the rhizome often rots if damaged.
-vallisneria - avoid giant vallis, and keep the pH above 7.0 otherwise you are wasting your time.
-anubias - marsh/ garden plant, not suited to aquariums if you want it to grow normally.
-Microsorum - Java Fern is fine but slow growing. Should be tied to wood or rocks.
-Echinodorus - good plants but slow growers if there is no nutrients and low light.
-Java moss, spiky moss - nice plant, should be attached to wood or rock with a bit of string or rubber band.
-Limnophila sessiliflora - Lovely plant and does best with lots of light and nutrients but also potters along in low light.
-Hottonia palustris
- Hygrophila - marsh plants but also do well underwater.
- staurogyne repens
-ludwigia repens - slow growing plant when kept in low light with no fertiliser.
- rotala rotundifolia - same as ludwigia.
-Hydroctyle leucocephala - marsh/ floating plant.
-crinum - garden plant that does not belong in aquariums.
-marimo moss ball - nice
-anacharis - a true aquatic plant but avoid getting it from a cold water pond in winter because sudden major temperature changes kill it.
-water sprite - one of my favorites, floats on the surface but can also be grown in the substrate.
-sagittaria sabulata
-bolbitis heudelotii - slow growing but nice.
-Marsilea Hirsuta - marsh plant that is poisonous to eat.
-Ceratophyllum demersum - same as anacharis
-floating plants
-bucephalandra

I lack a green thumb. Amazon sword plants are great. I have Echinodorus Bleheri and they are behemoths. Not for a shallow tank. You should have a tank 24" deep for these guys. Or larger if possible. My tank is 24" and theyve reached the top.

All they need is a good root tab and they do great.

Ive tried growing saggitaria sublata as an " easy" carpeting plant as well as sturogyne repens and they both died and i have medium light but what i didnt have that both those need is 30PAR at the substrate and a heavily fertlized substrate.
Carpeting plants like sag sublata need more than low light and i wouldnt put on easy imho.
I removed it

-cryptocoryne - hard to grow long term. Don't tolerate root disturbances and the rhizome often rots if damaged.
-vallisneria - avoid giant vallis, and keep the pH above 7.0 otherwise you are wasting your time.
-anubias - marsh/ garden plant, not suited to aquariums if you want it to grow normally.
-Microsorum - Java Fern is fine but slow growing. Should be tied to wood or rocks.
-Echinodorus - good plants but slow growers if there is no nutrients and low light.
-Java moss, spiky moss - nice plant, should be attached to wood or rock with a bit of string or rubber band.
-Limnophila sessiliflora - Lovely plant and does best with lots of light and nutrients but also potters along in low light.
-Hottonia palustris
- Hygrophila - marsh plants but also do well underwater.
- staurogyne repens
-ludwigia repens - slow growing plant when kept in low light with no fertiliser.
- rotala rotundifolia - same as ludwigia.
-Hydroctyle leucocephala - marsh/ floating plant.
-crinum - garden plant that does not belong in aquariums.
-marimo moss ball - nice
-anacharis - a true aquatic plant but avoid getting it from a cold water pond in winter because sudden major temperature changes kill it.
-water sprite - one of my favorites, floats on the surface but can also be grown in the substrate.
-sagittaria sabulata
-bolbitis heudelotii - slow growing but nice.
-Marsilea Hirsuta - marsh plant that is poisonous to eat.
-Ceratophyllum demersum - same as anacharis
-floating plants
-bucephalandra
Thank you for all of this information, I think we should use this post for the list! Why do you think crinum does not belong in aquarium? I think it is mostly found in river... What plants would you remove from the list?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back