Liquid Co2 And Vallisneria Gigantea

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

nic1

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hi,

Does anyone know if dosing everyday with liquid co2 have any effect on vallis gigantea? Ive heard that it melts most vallis but will it do the same to this plant?

Thanks in advance.

I would expect so, but if anyone has definite proof either way they will say.  The Vallisneria genus is usually affected by the glutaraldehyde (the ingredient along with water in Excel and API's CO2 Booster) but some other genera may be too.  I personally would not add such a dangerous toxin to an aquarium just on principle.

I'm less averse to the concept, but no, giant vallis isn't a fan of it.

mmm, ok.
I've read so many conflicting reports... I may just go with te majority and not dose that tank.

Thanks

Just the other side of this coin. I have used Excel in multiple tanks now for about 14 years. This includes tanks with discus, Altum angels, zebra plecos and a host of more mundane fish and had no problems. In tanks where I have been using it regularly I have had well over a 1,000 fry do just fine over the years. Some of my clown loaches have been with me since 2002 and have been in a planted tank which is dosed with Excel every week.

However, I do not overdose this product and would never ever try to use it as an algaecide. I am well aware of the potential for this chemical to be toxic if misused. But then people use ferts which contain ammonia and nitrate, both of which can be toxic to fish. The issue is always one of concentration.

I also respect Byron's (and anybody else's) choice not to use it. I am the same way about products going into the water which contain aloe vera. Each of us has to make our own decisions about certain products and to use them or not.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back