Lion Fish

seffieuk

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure!
Reaction score
The lion fish, friend or foe on the reef at Key West? (warning: there is a scene in the film where lion fish are most certainly harmed!)

This festival cut of Paul Cater Deaton's "Lionfish, The Beautiful Outlaw" premiered at the Our World - Underwater 2011 Film Festival. It examines the invasion of the Indo-Pacific lionfish into the western Atlantic, and the myriad responses to it. Written, produced and directed by Paul Cater Deaton.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZVXregHUWk

Link worked for me as well

It is actually kind of sad about the lions in the gulf. There are all kinds of things people are trying to do to help get rid of them, from spear fishing competitions to cook books about them, which is I guess a good thing. Also, prices on them at LFS's have gone waaay down. One LFS had them for sale for $20 apiece.

Very nice video, thank you seffie!

I agree it is a bad thing right now that the Lionfish are there, but nature always finds a balance and works things out.
Humans do much more damage to all the environments in the world and we aren't freaking out about that, but a bunch of lionfish in the caribbean need drastic measures?

Don't get me wrong I do understand that the Lionfish can cause large changes in the health of the reef and effect fish/invert populations until their population naturally finds an equilibrium.
But I kind of think its silly that were freaking out about it while we ourselves are the species who are posing the greatest threat to the reefs long term health.
I just think it would do a lot more good to change ourselves and our own habits than to go on a killing spree for the lionfish.

Nick D.

Very nice video, thank you seffie!

I agree it is a bad thing right now that the Lionfish are there, but nature always finds a balance and works things out.
Humans do much more damage to all the environments in the world and we aren't freaking out about that, but a bunch of lionfish in the caribbean need drastic measures?

Don't get me wrong I do understand that the Lionfish can cause large changes in the health of the reef and effect fish/invert populations until their population naturally finds an equilibrium.
But I kind of think its silly that were freaking out about it while we ourselves are the species who are posing the greatest threat to the reefs long term health.
I just think it would do a lot more good to change ourselves and our own habits than to go on a killing spree for the lionfish.

Nick D.
I disagree. Invasive species are called invasive for a reason. I'll use the example of lionfish in the gulf. The lions can far outcompete the natural species for resources/space/food, which leaves nothing for any fish they don't eat. They will spread and spread, and their population will go up so much that the natural environment they are "invading" will eventually run out of resources to an extent that the only species that can keep up with the invaders are the invaders themselves, essentially ruining the entire ecosystem.

I disagree. Invasive species are called invasive for a reason. I'll use the example of lionfish in the gulf. The lions can far outcompete the natural species for resources/space/food, which leaves nothing for any fish they don't eat. They will spread and spread, and their population will go up so much that the natural environment they are "invading" will eventually run out of resources to an extent that the only species that can keep up with the invaders are the invaders themselves, essentially ruining the entire ecosystem.

Agreed 100%

Wow that was interesting. I disagree to an extent, but agree on the main part. I think us, as humans, we have a massive god complex and think its down to us to control what goes on and doesnt. I dont really believe in a god but i do strongly believe that nature and things happen for a reason. I stuggle to believe the reefs will be consumed by lion fish and the repurcusions of their actions will destroy reef around the world. I believe nature will sort it out, for example - the bird eating the lion fish in that video. So say Lion fish eat a lot of the fish population but their food source will then start to lack, so will their population. The algae will start to grow, and then provide a new massive food source for the fish (previously consumed) and they then start to grow. The world has seen this type of cycle for ages now.
I'm not saying that if they are not stopped then it will be ok, but i am saying remember humans are not gods, and that 'mother narure' has done a fair job so far. Having said all of this, i like most humans, am fearful that this could be another dinosaur incident, and therefore agree that action should be taken for the better good, as a precaution. Who knows whether mother nature plans arent to destroy the reefs.
:) just to add to the debate. Very interesting video Seffie.

Most reactions

Back