Line Rasbora ,vega Rasbora

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Do they look something like this:

IMGP2614b.jpg

IMGP2614.jpg

Rasbora elegans looses the stripe to a great extent with age leaving just the spots.

Another "half striped" Rasbora is R. somphongsi which is a rounder fish and tends to have a brighter line above the dark half line. This species rarely grows above 25mm and is very shy.

A remote possibility is R. vulgaris, a most inappropriate name, (vulgaris means common), because this is a rare fish. It is similar in appearance to elegans, but has just the half line, not the spots.

I'll also add R. einthovenii to the list of possibles. It does have a complete stripe, which extends through the caudal fin, (tail), BUT, it used to be called Rasbora vegae - and looking at the title of the thread...

that's why I went for R.einthovenii
as the geman common name is Vegabärbling ;)

is it posible to breed these

I only have 2 now, but when I did have 4 I did get eggs a couple of times but both times they were in a community tank and the eggs didnt last.

I bought them as Rasbora Vegae, but I had them identified as and showed them as Rasbora Semilineata.

I've been doing a bit of reading in the Baensch atlasi (plural of atlas?) anywho
the photo index for vol 1-5 shows a pic of a fish and calls it r.vega
stating it can be found in vol2 on page 422.
so looking in Vol2 on p422 the fish is listed as r.vulgars?

I guess what I'm saying is; is this the fish in question?

I realise that you may not have an atlas to check, I could scan the page and pm it to you
but I won't publicly post it for copywright reasons.

so looking in Vol2 on p422 the fish is listed as r.vulgars?

How old is your book Wolf, the reason I'm asking is that I have just looked at page 422 in vol2 and the fish listed is Rasbora Vegae / Vega Rasbora. My copy is 1993 hardback edition so there seems to have been a change somewhere.

My Baensch Vol 2, page 422 is labelled R vulgaris(?), which I referred to in my post above. I have never seen these in the trade. It struck me as odd that a fish limited to one small island, and then uncommon should have "vulgaris" as it's specific name as vulgaris means "common" or "ordinary".

My Baensch Vol 2 is the 1997 edition.

The "Vega Rasbora" still points me back to R. einthovenii, which was the superior synonym to R. vegae and R. labuana. As such, R. vegae is very clearly not the fish shown on page 422, R einthovenii is a very common fish in the trade, and although a few mistakes appear in the atlases, that would be a real howler!

It'd be nice to get a picture of the fish from the OP.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back