Lighting

StarOrbs

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I have a 30 gallon hexagon tank 24in in height and I'm using the 14 watt blub they gave me I'm wondering that will be enough for plants such as hornwort, Amazon Sword, and Java Ferns. Should I get more wattage what do you think?

What would be the best way to add more watts? Is there a better bulb, because when you got a 15in hood you can only seem to get 14 watt bulbs for the size.

You have discovered one of the real problems with Hex tanks! They tend to be deep, so need more light anyway then a regular shaped tank, but have no room for the lamps to give you the Watts needed.

In a regular shaped tank, say 300mm/12" deep, about 2 Watts per gallon of full spectrum 5500K - 6500K will give "Medium" light, you'll need a bit more then that at that depth to get the same.

Java Fern some Crypts and Anubias species will grow, albeit very slowly in low light, you may get a sword to stay alive but it isn't going to be a star performer.

Unfortunately, fluorescent lamps have, within reason, a length/Watts relationship. More powerful lamps are longer. You might consider using compact fluorescents, it depends how you hood is set up and how handy you are with some tools. You can get a lot more Watts out of CF's, and these days, can even get CF's with a decent spectrum, (the regular ones sold for houses are too low, ~2700K).

Another problem with hex tanks is related, they have a low surface area to volume, so stocking levels are necessarily lower unless you have a lot of water movement.

I have two ideas, get a longer hood therefore I can get more wattage in it. Or I can get another hood and then upgrade the bulbs and try to get more watts.

Most reactions

Back