Lighting Question

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

markinatlanta

Reaction score
Ok, setting up my first aquarium - 37 gallon.  One thing I'm confused on, though the right answer is probably simple.  Its about how much, and when, the LED lights should be on.  In other words, while it will never be in direct sunlight, there will be plenty of light around the aquarium in ...... the daytime (duh).  So when I read things light 'operate lights 8 hrs per day' I ask myself 'is that in addition to the regular daylight, or done at same time, etc.  Perhaps the better way to ask this is....when should the lights *not* be on?  Can anyone straighten this out for me? Thanks in advance......

My largest aquarium is in the living room which gets natural light. I turn my tank lights on as soon as I get up in the morning, and as I get ready for bed. You want to keep them as close to the natural day/night cycle as you can. Depending on the amount of light in your room, you should typically keep the tank lights on for eight hours a day (usually when it is also daylight). If your room is extraordinarily bright, leave them off. When the sun goes down, the light in your aquarium should be off, though some people, like my sister, insist upon keeping the lights on at night and keeping them off during the day because she likes to watch the ones in her room as she goes to sleep.

Followup question then - why are they used at all, i.e. if it should only be in the day, but you already have plenty of light in the day, then...... follow my question?  Just trying to understand what artificial light's role is.....

Essentially it is for our convenience, however they do also play a role in giving plants more direct sunlight, as it is not to put an aquarium in direct sunlight, especially if it is made of glass. An aquarium without a light would be fine, but some plants may suffer. Does that answer your question? I'm sorry if I'm not getting to your point.

That helps, yes.  I assumed artificial light was more "necessary' than it really is, evidently.... thanks!

My aquarium is 37 gallons too :)
Aquarium lights aren't all that necessary except when you have a planted aquarium, in which case it is essential for photosynthesis.  8 hours a day means turn it on for 8 hours during the daytime.  (That's when the sun would be shining outside.)  But if there's plenty of light in the room and you aren't planning on using live plants, you don't have to bother turning them on at all.
Good luck!

So, by turning the lights on after sundown, when I am home, I am doing it wrong?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back