Three Golden Rules

plebian

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Three Indisputable Facts
Fact #1
Aquatic ecosystems are extremely complex environments consisting of thousands of interrelated species of microorganisms.

In truth, very little about these relationships is known and even less is understood. Even the most basic process essential to fish keeping, the nitrogen cycle, has been misunderstood.

For decades it was believed the nitrogen cycle was dependent upon ammonia-oxidizing bacteria, Nitrosomonas spp. It has more recently been discovered that ammonia-oxidizing archaea are actually responsible for most of the conversion of ammonia to nitrite in both fresh water and salt water aquariums. Even less is known about the other microorganisms that inhabit our aquariums, few of which have been identified much less studied.

Fact #2
Every aquarium has a unique microbiome.

This is due to differences in local water sources, aquarium bioload, and water changing and feeding schedules. Even geographical location and climate can effect the composition of an aquarium microbiome. This is why the time it takes to establish a stable nitrogen cycle is so unpredictable, and that is only the first step in establishing a healthy, stable aquarium microbiome.

Fact #3
Fish have personalities.

In basic terms, what this means is that different individuals of the same species will react to their environment in different ways. For example, in one study of guppies it was found that different individuals responded to threat perception differently. Some froze in place, some tried to hide, others simply fled.

From an evolutionary perspective, personality is a key factor in species survival. How individuals respond to changes in their environment determines whether they survive. These changes include water parameters, predators, sources of food, etc. Those that adapt pass on their genetics, the others do not.

Given the three indisputable facts highlighted above, I have developed three golden rules of fish keeping.

Three Golden Rules
Rule #1
Don’t believe everything you read on Internet forums (including this one).

Finding the truth about a specific topic is like looking for a needle in a haystack. This is especially true of tropical fish keeping forums. You need to do your research.
Rule #2
When researching a topic pay attention to the source.

There is a lot of intentionally misleading marketing out there, the sole purpose of which is to take money from the unwary. There are also people interested in pushing a specific agenda based on personal beliefs rather than scientific facts.

Rule #3
Use logic and careful reasoning when evaluating the various claims you come across.

Just because someone observes one event preceding another does not mean the preceding event caused the event that followed. Coincidence and causality are all too frequently confused.

Exhibit A:
If you look for recommendations regarding the control of brown algae you will find the following:

Increase lighting
Decrease lighting
Decrease the nitrate level in the water (typically, using plants)

Simple logic should rule out one of the first two recommendations on that list. One or the other is false. In truth, both are false, as is the last item.
Typically, the person asking for advice has a planted aquarium and is concerned because the plants are being covered by brown algae. Brown algae (diatoms, a class of microalgae) can survive under conditions that will not support plant life. Changing light and/or nitrate levels to a point that will eliminate brown algae will also eliminate the plants.

Why people make these assertions is almost certainly due to confusing correlation with causality. One individual reduces light and the brown algae is observed to disappear. Another increases light and the brown algae disappears. In both cases, the reason the brown algae disappeared had nothing to do with light (or nitrate) levels. The brown algae was simply consumed by other micororganisms that had finally had enough time to establish themselves in the microbiome.
The Internet is rife with misleading reports on all matter of subjects simply because people confuse correlation with causality. The simple fact that every aquarium is to some degree unique implies that not everyone’s experience will be the same. The simple fact that fish have personalities similarly implies that not everyone’s experience will be the same.

Every recommendation you find on the Internet, regardless of topic, needs to be examined according to the three golden rules I highlighted above. Nowhere is this more true than with the content found on tropical fish forums.

The longer I spend on forums, the more I realize the complexity. Most of it doesn't matter to people keeping fish, but once you start to try to share info, it becomes a possible issue.

I don't know what specific minerals are in my water when I read ppm. Part of my region was torn off North Africa when the continents broke up and began drifting. We have the same limestone formations as another continent. Meanwhile, the rest of the region has the geology of mainland North America. I'm within a kilometre of the dividing line, I think in "Africa". I live on an ancient river delta, raised above sea level. Travel 45 minutes west, and the water is different in its mineral content from what flows out of my tap.

So can the advice I honestly give from my experience ("just use tap for that species") really apply for someone with polluted tap water in the US midwest or southern England, or mineral rich water from a well?

I think we should assume the people we discuss with are speaking in good faith from real experience, but we should respect the fact we could all be wrong. What works for me may not work for you.

In western Montreal, I had 65 to 85 ppm tapwater, and could not breed cardinals. I struggled with some of my killies.
On the east coast of Canada, I have 65 to 85 ppm tapwater, and can easily breed cardinals. Some of the fish I struggled with in Montreal breed like rumours here, and the easy killies there are not necessarily easy here. There are other variables. We have to keep that in mind.

My only golden rule is "do unto other species as you would have them do unto yours".

Certainly some food for thought and serious consideration in the preceding two posts .
However, some food for thought is herbivorous, some insectivorous and there is probably carnivorous food for thought... let's avoid the mulm eating detritivorous thought. There's too much of it about.

Part of my region was torn off North Africa when the continents broke up and began drifting. We have the same limestone formations as another continent. Meanwhile, the rest of the region has the geology of mainland North America. I'm within a kilometre of the dividing line, I think in "Africa". I live on an ancient river delta, raised above sea level. Travel 45 minutes west, and the water is different in its mineral content from what flows out of my tap.
I’ve never heard of this! What part of Canada?

However, some food for thought is herbivorous, some insectivorous and there is probably carnivorous food for thought... let's avoid the mulm eating detritivorous thought. There's too much of it about.
True but in all seriousness it never once occurred to me that there are so many variables in this hobby that nobody can make a recommendation for someone else when they live in such geographically different areas nor can we take them and make them work . They can only be a good starting point . Knowing this I can now look back over my checkered career as a tropical fish hobbyist and see which fish have worked for me and maybe deduce why and also look at my failures and understand why if only in part . No , this is very thought provoking .

Three Indisputable Facts
Fact #1
Aquatic ecosystems are extremely complex environments consisting of thousands of interrelated species of microorganisms.

In truth, very little about these relationships is known and even less is understood. Even the most basic process essential to fish keeping, the nitrogen cycle, has been misunderstood.

For decades it was believed the nitrogen cycle was dependent upon ammonia-oxidizing bacteria, Nitrosomonas spp. It has more recently been discovered that ammonia-oxidizing archaea are actually responsible for most of the conversion of ammonia to nitrite in both fresh water and salt water aquariums. Even less is known about the other microorganisms that inhabit our aquariums, few of which have been identified much less studied.

Fact #2
Every aquarium has a unique microbiome.

This is due to differences in local water sources, aquarium bioload, and water changing and feeding schedules. Even geographical location and climate can effect the composition of an aquarium microbiome. This is why the time it takes to establish a stable nitrogen cycle is so unpredictable, and that is only the first step in establishing a healthy, stable aquarium microbiome.

Fact #3
Fish have personalities.

In basic terms, what this means is that different individuals of the same species will react to their environment in different ways. For example, in one study of guppies it was found that different individuals responded to threat perception differently. Some froze in place, some tried to hide, others simply fled.

From an evolutionary perspective, personality is a key factor in species survival. How individuals respond to changes in their environment determines whether they survive. These changes include water parameters, predators, sources of food, etc. Those that adapt pass on their genetics, the others do not.

Given the three indisputable facts highlighted above, I have developed three golden rules of fish keeping.

Three Golden Rules
Rule #1
Don’t believe everything you read on Internet forums (including this one).

Finding the truth about a specific topic is like looking for a needle in a haystack. This is especially true of tropical fish keeping forums. You need to do your research.
Rule #2
When researching a topic pay attention to the source.

There is a lot of intentionally misleading marketing out there, the sole purpose of which is to take money from the unwary. There are also people interested in pushing a specific agenda based on personal beliefs rather than scientific facts.

Rule #3
Use logic and careful reasoning when evaluating the various claims you come across.

Just because someone observes one event preceding another does not mean the preceding event caused the event that followed. Coincidence and causality are all too frequently confused.

Exhibit A:
If you look for recommendations regarding the control of brown algae you will find the following:

Increase lighting
Decrease lighting
Decrease the nitrate level in the water (typically, using plants)

Simple logic should rule out one of the first two recommendations on that list. One or the other is false. In truth, both are false, as is the last item.
Typically, the person asking for advice has a planted aquarium and is concerned because the plants are being covered by brown algae. Brown algae (diatoms, a class of microalgae) can survive under conditions that will not support plant life. Changing light and/or nitrate levels to a point that will eliminate brown algae will also eliminate the plants.

Why people make these assertions is almost certainly due to confusing correlation with causality. One individual reduces light and the brown algae is observed to disappear. Another increases light and the brown algae disappears. In both cases, the reason the brown algae disappeared had nothing to do with light (or nitrate) levels. The brown algae was simply consumed by other micororganisms that had finally had enough time to establish themselves in the microbiome.
The Internet is rife with misleading reports on all matter of subjects simply because people confuse correlation with causality. The simple fact that every aquarium is to some degree unique implies that not everyone’s experience will be the same. The simple fact that fish have personalities similarly implies that not everyone’s experience will be the same.

Every recommendation you find on the Internet, regardless of topic, needs to be examined according to the three golden rules I highlighted above. Nowhere is this more true than with the content found on tropical fish forums.
You are right, I looked at a few brown algae on you tube when I discovered that what I had in my tank some said you have to cut back on the light, and some said light doesn't matter, so you stating to wonder what is right I find on forums if you find the right person who knows what they are doing and keeps things simple then stick with them.

There's misinformation about everything on the internet. Even fish keeping. One thing newcomers don't realize about the hobby is how research intensive it is. Most people grow up with a dog or cat so they know at least the basics of keeping one of them as a pet. New people arrive in the hobby thinking of goldfish bowls or shelf tanks, thinking that fish are a low maintenance pet.
What's frustrating is that there are different schools of thought and some of them directly contradict each other. Until one develops experience, they have to research as much as they can and rely on their own judgment to figure out what's right. And even then it can be difficult to suss out the good info from the bad. Rat poison is 95% good grain. And that's how misinformation works. Most of what they say is reasonably accurate. Which makes it harder to tell the difference when they say something that isn't. The thing that bothers me is the temptation for people to assume that the easiest and most convenient methods for them as an owner are the right ones.

This actually goes rather well with the discussion over at the "Random Discussion" thread about the benefits and pitfalls of technology.

Here's something I wish I had understood earlier in the game: The different schools of aquarium keeping aren't really as opposed as they seem; people have just come up with wildly different methods of accomplishing the same things. Fish all share the same basic needs: Water that suits their body chemistry, food that suits their brains and digestive systems, and a physical-social environment that allows them to express their natural behaviors. The specifics of those basics vary from species to species (and sometimes even from individual to individual), and humans have been extremely creative and enterprising in coming up with ways to provide them. So go dirted Walstad or go ultra-high tech Amano style; go for a zen shrimp bowl or a crazy Dutch jungle or let your toddlers pick out a Spongebob theme. They all have pros and cons, and they can all be good if you understand the underlying needs and provide for them.

After reading about all of this and looking at the work of many fish keepers who are obviously in it for the long haul, one starts to develop a finely calibrated BS-O-Meter and weed out the random guesswork that so often passes for knowledge.

You are right, I looked at a few brown algae on you tube when I discovered that what I had in my tank some said you have to cut back on the light, and some said light doesn't matter, so you stating to wonder what is right I find on forums if you find the right person who knows what they are doing and keeps things simple then stick with them.
I've always found brown diatom algae is eatin' up by nerite snails. So I have them in most of my tanks.

Rat poison is 95% good grain.
and regularly contains warfarin, which is used as a blood thinner for people with heart problems. too much warfarin and you bleed to death internally.

--------------------

My 3+ golden rules.
Keep the tank, filter and substrate clean.
Feed a varied diet.
Provide the correct water chemistry for the species.
Keep species that are compatible.
Don't use medications unless you know what the problem is.

edited to add, kill all snails, except the ones I like

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back