Lighting For Corals

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

No problem, I would be looking at 1 dual set just to run the length of the 4 foot tank, not sure how many sets I would need. I know its the reef white I would need due to the depth but its how many tubes is the problem. Still I have got a few yrs till I need to buy them so hopefully they will have come down in price a fair bit, although the saving in electricity would be worth the initial outlay in my opinion, if they work that is.
how cool is this idea! there are the mounting rails which will fit into the lamp holders of T5 and T8 fittings!
http://www.tmc-ltd.co.uk/aquarium/aquaray-modular.asp

That makes sense now, I thought you meant that the rail would not fit :crazy:

Yes it would make sense to have some smaller and sone bigger. I will only just fit the two side by side to stretch the length of the 4ft. However this will be better than what is on it now as they are 36"over a 48" tank. Would you not fit more on, would the depth not allow that??

That makes sense now, I thought you meant that the rail would not fit :crazy:

Yes it would make sense to have some smaller and sone bigger. I will only just fit the two side by side to stretch the length of the 4ft. However this will be better than what is on it now as they are 36"over a 48" tank. Would you not fit more on, would the depth not allow that??
no the tanks 36 cm wide, i might go 3 marine white and one actinic, will this be enough for:

zoos sp
mushrooms sp
eupyhillia sp
leathers sp
turbestrea sp (sun coral)

or will the LED's from ebay have the same effect as the actinics?

theyre all T5's and 40 cm deep

This is where the problem lies, there is no advice as to how many tubes you will need and if the amount would be the same as the amount of T5 tubes you would have, only option is to find someone that has used them.

ive read about blue LED's not being as good as actinics as they give of no UV and actincis give of little UV so would 3 marine whites and an actinic be better? then having to go for LED's which will have no actinic effect

aqua rays give a very focused ray of light, a bit light spotlights. No way would 2 strips do a 4' tank. For a full on reef your likely to neeed nearer 6 or 8. Then SPS corals may still struggle at the bottom of a tank.

4 would probably be about right over a 2' cubed area. They are best in tanks shallower than 24" aswel. If you email TMC they will suggest a set up for you, but imo they seem to suggest using a couple less to make it seem better value.

it depends, i wouldnt take a white tube out and replace it with a blue one as they dont really offer much other than bringing out coloues. i think id go the ebay route.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back