Lighting at night? a controversy.....

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

guppygirl

This picture just won champion in BW flowers!! YAY
Reaction score
First place at State 4-H horse show!! WHOOEE!!
Hi guys!
Long time, no see. But I don't think anybody noticed... B)
Anyways.
My mom has now raided my 55 gallon and re-done it... put new fish in, tore out some of the plants, reduced the lighting, took away the crappy co2 system. (grrr...) And scrubbed the pounds of algae! But to get to the point, she has reduced the lighting to a couple of hours from 12 midnight to 6 or 7 am. We have time-of-use here, it costs more to run things from 12 noon to 8 pm. So we do laundry and dishes morning and night.
My real question is, would this be upsetting the fish's natural sleep/awake cycle to have no light in the day, with some natural sunlight filtering in the room, and then 130 watts of 6700K light in the night?
Discussion shall begin..... :shifty:

Having worked graveyard steady for 16 years, I would say yes. But I don't know if it is actually significant for the fish. Maybe consistancy is more important. Interrupting the systems cycles reapeatedly is stressful to humans.

I have been reading that a split schedule is best to interrupt the algae cycle. 4 hours on, 4 off, 4 on.

What do you do when you want to watch the fish?

jollysue said:
Having worked graveyard steady for 16 years, I would say yes. But I don't know if it is actually significant for the fish. Maybe consistancy is more important. Interrupting the systems cycles reapeatedly is stressful to humans.

I have been reading that a split schedule is best to interrupt the algae cycle. 4 hours on, 4 off, 4 on.

What do you do when you want to watch the fish?
[snapback]868807[/snapback]​
Well, my mom just switches the light on manually, and when we're done watching, she just switches it off and it will light itself up.
It is similar to the on and off cycle, so I don't know. A lot of people use the on/off lighting.

i agree with jollysue, you need to have the 4 on and off rule.....

it will disturb them and they do need time without light..... use a rule where you can have a certain amount on, and a certain off...... make sure you have a nice timer that can handle it, or a digital one would do fine, but becareful they have a tendancy to reset....

good luck!

hmm my tank's light turn on at 6pm and off at 1am, just to match my weird daily schedual..see..i sleep at at least 3am myself :D

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back