Light outside of tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Moonweaver

Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
I read that sudden light/darkness is bad for fish. I've got a small tank on a table and a dim lamp about 2 yards away. We turn on the lamp at night for about an hour when we watch TV. I was wondering if the lamp would affect the fish inside of the tank.

I have a lamp above my 55G tank. I turn the tank lights off in the evening and turn the lamp on until we go to bed. The tank gets a little darker but still can see. Also have TV going. Doesn’t seem to bother them. Sometimes they sleep and sometimes that explore. Now, once all lights go out they off to beddy bye. Lol

Stress from tank lights coming on when the room is dark can be an issue. Fish don't have eyelids and don't tolerate going from complete dark to bright light (or vice versa) instantly.

In the morning open the curtains or turn the room light on at least 30 minutes (or more) before turning the tank light on. This will reduce the stress on the fish and they won't go from a dark tank to a bright tank instantly.

At night turn the room light on and then turn the tank light off. Wait at least 30 minutes (or more) before turning the room light out. This allows the fish to settle down for the night instead of going from a brightly lit tank to complete darkness instantly.

Stress from tank lights coming on when the room is dark can be an issue. Fish don't have eyelids and don't tolerate going from complete dark to bright light (or vice versa) instantly.

In the morning open the curtains or turn the room light on at least 30 minutes (or more) before turning the tank light on. This will reduce the stress on the fish and they won't go from a dark tank to a bright tank instantly.

At night turn the room light on and then turn the tank light off. Wait at least 30 minutes (or more) before turning the room light out. This allows the fish to settle down for the night instead of going from a brightly lit tank to complete darkness instantly.

I see, should I change the light on/off time depending on seasons?

I wouldn’t. I really don’t see a point in doing that. :)

As PheonixKingZ said, there's no reason to change the timer for different seasons. Most aquarium fish come from environments that have pretty similar lighting times all year round, so just give them a set lighting period every day.

it makes good sense to gradually increase light in the morning and gradually decrease light in the evening- after all, that's what nature does. However, I'd bet most aquariums in the hobby have lights that are either on a timer or subject to the hobbyists life style without gradual treatments.
I have a Finnex Planted Plus 24/7 on my 60g that does this nicely - but I have several other (breeder/grow out) tanks with lights on timers.

My 10 gallon is in my office room. I occasionally have to get something in that room after the tank lights are turned off and it's nightime. I have a dimmer on the overhead ceiling light so I just set it to medium low so I can get what I need. It probably does disturb the fish but I don't do it very often. They'll survive.:)

You might time your tank lights to go off just after you turn on the table lamp. Then after tv time , you turn off the lamp and all is well.

Last edited:
And when i am trying to limit the light amount in my tanks (usually due to algae) I just open up a window blind, because that still allows some light to get in, but not enough to grow algae. ;)

They do make lights for aquarium use, that mimic sunrise, noon, sunset, and midnight, but IMO its not worth the $$. :)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00U0HMX1C/?tag=ff0d01-20
As I wrote I have a 48" Finnex Planted Plus 24/7 LED running in 24/7 mode on my low tech planted display tank and it is AWESOMELY SURREAL. I have it on a timer from 6am until midnight. It allows viewing throughout the day and evening and creates the perfect nature like environment. For lighting it's like the difference between real and fake plants. I suppose some could debate the cost but I likely won't. :)

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

trending

Back