Light Gone On My Tank How Do I Know What Light To Buy To Replace It?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

marieukxx

Fish Herder
Reaction score
The light has gone on my hexagon tank. It was just one off ebay, not a brand that's popular or anything. It is a strip light encased in plastic and I can get to it by unswecrewing two screws to remove the plastic. The thing is I have no clue how I know what light will fit it.

All it says on it is 6W 10000K. That's on the actual tube light. How do you determine what light will fit? Would measuring it do? I have plants so would like a good light. Would someone be kind enough to help me pick out a good light?

Thanks

A picture would help. You'd need to know what connection it uses. Length of the bulb is always useful as you suggested.

Thanks, I'll take it out today and take a picture and post it here

Is that a Elite 35 or a Elite 60 tank?

That's a 60 but it's not that tank, it's a small hex tank. I tried to get it unscrewed but being such a girl can't get the screws to budge!!!!!!!!!! Gonna get help later on and I'll post a pic of the bulb. Thanks guys

Is that a Elite 35 or a Elite 60 tank?

That's a 60 but it's not that tank, it's a small hex tank. I tried to get it unscrewed but being such a girl can't get the screws to budge!!!!!!!!!! Gonna get help later on and I'll post a pic of the bulb. Thanks guys

Here it is, it measures 9" long and 2" diameter

2012-05-04132649.jpg

Do what I always do; go to a good electrical shop, with the tube, and say, "I need one like this" ;)

You don't need to buy aquarium tubes, normal household ones are fine. Go for a 'daylight' one, if you have a choice :good:

2" diameter? Looks like a T5 to me...

If I'm right then this is what you need

http://www.lampspecs.co.uk/9-In-6-Watt-Daylight-54

Problem is its gonna cost £9 with shipping, although I suspect it won't cost you any less on the high street.

If you have fluorescent lighting around your house might be worth getting some spares ordered from lampspecs at the same time, they will almost definitely be cheaper than anywhere else to buy even after the shipping cost is divided between what you buy ( or free if over £40).

Do what I always do; go to a good electrical shop, with the tube, and say, "I need one like this" ;)

You don't need to buy aquarium tubes, normal household ones are fine. Go for a 'daylight' one, if you have a choice :good:
ahh I didn't know I could just get one in a normal electrical shop. I'm gonna take it with me like you said

Measure the length and diameter. That looks like a T-5 in the picture which would be 5/8 inch diameter. Every group of fluorescent tubes has a specific watts per foot rating, so just get another 6 watt the same length as the one you have and it will be the right type. After that you decide on color spectrum. A 10000K, the kind you have, will be a bluish white light, a 5000K to 6500K will be much like noon daylight, a 3000K will cast a yellowish hue much like a typical warm white incandescent light.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back