Lfs Selling Fish?

HCpetraitis

Fishaholic
Joined
Mar 10, 2008
Messages
608
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I would like to know what everyone thinks of my situation. My female platy looks like she might explode with babies and I still have 8 platy fry in the box. I thought I could wait until my mom has her next fry and then sell them to my LFS? Has anyone done that before? I just can't have all the fry and fish in my tank. Oh and if anyone knows where I could find and LFS around Chicago let me know! Thanks :nod:
 
Oh and I would also like to know if an LFS would even really buy a platy.
 
Im not sure what its like over there but over here its almost impossible to get any LFS to accept young mollies/platies/guppies etc, as there just so easy to breed and they can get 10 thousand from a supplier for next to nothing :) This is why its very important to make sure YOU can keep up with the demand yourself, else id get rid of all the females fast.
 
That's not good then. I really can't have millions of fish!
 
Nope and with both male and female live bearers its only a matter of time before you do :) better hope that the adults are hungry and eat most of the fry!
 
my lfs take in my fryin exchange for small things which im not really bothered about so i leave it, its good if your not in the breeding profit making!
 
What should I do I've looked at every LFS within 50 miles. I can't find anything!
 
Might be best to put a ad about and maybe put free to good homes.
 
I'm in Chicago, and have sold platys, though it has been quite some time. They need to be one inch body size, you'll get around 50 cents each for them.

Let them grow, bring them to an auction. Lately there has been a bit of a shortage of platys at local auctions, to the point that I have a 150 gallon tub set up outside, with 50 or so potential breeders.

If you have a problem with tank space, pm me, I'll grow them for the summer for you if you like. Good luck finding exactly which fish are yours, just come grab a netfull.
 
Alright so I found a neighbor who will take all 8 and the next fry. Yay!
 
Here in Seattle I haven't seen any LFS that will buy them, but we do have a few that will take them for free.

In my tanks of the past, I would keep all male or all female platies in the same tank - problem solved!
 
Unless it's a rare color morph, or a competition "winning" strain of livebearer it is unlikely the LFS will take them. My LFS has some red wag platies that are bred from a "best in show" pair that they get from a local breeder for example.

Otherwise, they just breed so insanely fast that everyone has a ton and they cost next to nothing. Same goes for guppies, mollies, and swordtails. Convict cichlids are probably in that group as well.
 
put the fry on your bird table for the birds to eat. Hey if you think its cruel its not, its nature, think about that next time your feeding live bloodworm to your fish.
 
I have found an lfs that will take the fry but won't pay for them. That was OK by me, at least I had somewhere for them to go :) But now I keep all females and I don't have the problem.
 
I have found an lfs that will take the fry but won't pay for them. That was OK by me, at least I had somewhere for them to go :) But now I keep all females and I don't have the problem.

they can hold sperm for months without any males in the tank , so you will still have fry!!
your best to just go with males and their nicier anyway! :good:
 

Most reactions

Back
Top